Union Minister of Railways and Coal Piyush Goyal on April 5, 2018 launched the UTTAM App for Coal Quality Monitoring. The word 'UTTAM' here is abbreviated as 'Unlocking Transparency by Third Party Assessment of Mined Coal'.
The app has been jointly developed by the Union Ministry of Coal and Coal India Limited (CIL) developed .
Purpose of UTTAM App
• The app has been designed with an aim to transform the citizens as stakeholders in the coal ecosystem.
• The app seeks to monitor the process of Third Party Sampling of coal and coal dispatches across all the CIL subsidiaries.
• It facilitates a bidirectional channel between Coal India Limited and a common citizen.
• It aims to ensure transparency and efficiency in the coal quality monitoring process and brings coal governance closer to people.
Features of UTTAM App
• The app provides coverage of Third Party Sampling which includes information on production, dispatch and quantity sampled of coal.
• There is an interactive map based view that provides holistic coverage of coal quality across subsidiaries on quality parameters such as declared Gross Calorific Value (GCV), analysed GCV and coverage parameters such as location and quantity sampled.
• The information provided by the app about subsidiary wise declared GCV will help citizens and coal consumers to compare and assess the coal quality. It will provide a proper mapping of the grade of coal dispatched to the consumers.
• It reflects the trend of complaints pertaining to quality of coal, which validates CIL’s efforts for quality improvement through Third Party Sampling.
• The app also presents the latest quantity sampled in the power and non-power sector, bringing transparency in the coal quality assessment system.
• The app presents the trend of coal imports over the last years. The amount of coal imported is a clear reflection of the quality of coal that is produced within the country.