The Union Ministry of Power on March 27, 2018 tied-up with the Union Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship to train the manpower in six states for speedy implementation of Saubhagya Scheme.
Saubhagya Scheme is also known as Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana. Around 4 crore households are expected to get electricity connections under the scheme.
Highlights of the tie-up
• Around 47,000 Distribution Lineman-Multi Skills and 8,500 Technical Helpers will be trained to meet the requirement of power sector.
• The workforce already engaged in implementing this project will be considered first for the skill development programmes.
• The shortfalls, if any, will be met by ITI Electrician trade pass-outs from the local ITIs.
• Total 48 hours of training will be provided to the existing workforce of the contractors, which includes 12 hours orientation and 36 hours Bridge course.
• While, 120 hours of training will be provided to the fresh and ITI (Electrician Trade) pass-outs.
• The training infrastructures available at district level as well as the infrastructures available with the State Power Distribution Utilities will be utilized for skill training of the candidates.
Why was there a need of this partnership?
The lack of trained manpower has been the main constraint in speedy execution of the Saubhagya Scheme .
A large number of trained manpower is essential for implementing programmes and Saubhagya alone needs more than 35,000 trained persons.
This partnership seeks to skill the available manpower to meet the targets for electrification.
• The scheme is a part of Union Government’s Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY).
• It aims to achieve universal household electrification in all parts of the country at a cost of Rs 16,320 crore, in which the division of funding is as follows: 60% Government of India grant, 10% Utilities/State contribution and 30% loans.
• The eligibility for free electricity will be identified through Caste Census of 2011.
• The Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) has been appointed as the nodal agency for the implementation of the Saubhagya scheme.