The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways cleared quadricycle as a new category of vehicle on 23 December 2013.
The Ministry suggested that the quadricycles should be registered under the commercial transport category for intra-city movement.
• Quadricycles are seen as safer than three-wheelers as they will have four wheels with fully enclosed body structure with hard top and door.
• These battery-powered or electric four-wheelers will come under quadricycle category.
• These vehicles will be allowed to ply only on city roads as transport vehicles and not as personal vehicles.
• These vehicles should have dual car-type braking system since there is no provision for crash test of these vehicles.
• The quadricycle have a substantial upgrade over the three-wheeler auto and will be bigger than an auto-rickshaw and smaller than a normal car. No change in weight, size, body and emission norms of the vehicle.
• The vehicle meant for carrying passengers will be of 450 kg and for carrying goods will be of 550 kg. The length will be 3 metre for passenger version and 3.7 metre for goods version.
• Quadricycles can carry a maximum of four passengers and goods vehicles can carry 500 kg which excluded the weight of battery from total vehicle weight.
As per the Ministry the final notification will be released in less than a month and these vehicles will be allowed to ply after six months of the notification.
Inclusion of battery operated four-wheelers as quadricycle will bring more players in competition including Mahindras, Bajaj Auto, TVS, Tata Motors, Maruti.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
Where: New Delhi
What: new category
When: 23 December 2013