Vashishtha Narayan Singh, a mathematician who challenged Einstein’s theory, passes away
Mathematician Vashistha Narayan Singh had challenged Einstein's theory and earned worldwide recognition.
The great mathematician Vashishtha Narayan Singh passed away in Patna on November 14. He was 74. Vashishtha Narayan Singh was suffering from mental illness schizophrenia for 40 years. Mathematician Vashistha Narayan Singh had challenged Einstein's theory and earned worldwide recognition.
Chief Minister of Bihar Nitish Kumar paid tribute to him. Chief Minister said that he is saddened by this demise; he was a highly respected gentleman. Former CM Jitan Ram Manjhi also mourned the death of Vashistha Narayan Singh. Manjhi said that society has suffered irreparable damage due to the death of Vashistha Narayan Singh.
Who was Vashishtha Narayan Singh?
• He was born on April 2, 1942, in a rural village Basantpur, Bihar.
• Professor John Kelly of the University of California recognized his talent. He moved to America in 1965.
• Mathematician Vashistha Narayan Singh earned his PhD in 1969 from the University of California.
• He became an associate professor at Washington University. Vashistha Narayan also worked at NASA, but he returned to India in 1971.
• Vasistha Narayan worked at IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay and ISI Kolkata. He got married in 1973. He suffered from mental illness schizophrenia soon after marriage.
• He also worked with NASA when he surprised many people with his mathematic skills. It is also believed that as a student at Patna Science College, he used to interrupt his math teacher when he taught something wrong.
• It is believed that He brought 10 boxes of books with him from the USA.
Vashishtha Narayan Singh in NASA
It is said that at the time of launch of Apollo, all the devices stopped working but Vashishtha Narayan started calculating. The computer malfunctioned for 30 to 35 seconds. After which he did a mathematical calculation. When the computer got fixed, his calculations and computer’s calculations were exactly the same.