Vice President of Zambia Guy Scott on 29 October 2014 was appointed as acting President by the Zambia government. Guy Scott, thus, became the first white leader of a sub-Saharan nation since F W de Klerk’s became the President of South Africa in May 1994.
He was appointed after the incumbent President Michael Sata died in London on 28 October 2014.
However, his appointment was shrouded in controversy because according to some official sources Guy Scott was ineligible for election of President of Zambia as his parents were not born in Zambia.
Earlier also in 2008, there has been such instance when President Mwanawasa’s death made vice president, Rupiah Band as acting president and an election was held within 90 days.
About Guy Scott
• Scott was born in 1944 in Livingstone, Zambia.
• He completed graduation from Cambridge University and University of Sussex with a degree in economics and a doctorate in cognitive science.
• He is a former farmer and he was elected to serve as Chair of the Agriculture Committee from Movement for Multi-Party Democracy.
• He was elected as Member of Parliament for Mpika in 1991 and later he was appointed as Agricultural minister.
• Guy Scott was appointed as Vice-President of Zambia in2011 under the President of Michael Sata.
When: 28 October 2014