Padma Bhushan M.S. Gopalakrishnan, the Violin maestro died on 3 January 2012 at the age of 82. He died with the complaints of breathlessness and a brief illness. The violinist was an expert in Hindustani and Carnatic systems of classical music. He is now survived by his wife and a violinist son and daughter M Narmada and Suresh Respectively and another daughter Latha.
Hailing from the Parur lineage he was a recipient of both Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri and had a career span of about 75 years. The Music Academy conferred him from the Sangita Kalanidhi title.
Awards and Titles for M.S. Gopalakrishnan
• He received Violin Vadhya Samrat in the year 1960 form Bombay Sivananda Ashram, India
• In 1975 he was conferred with Padmashri by Government of India
• In the year 1976, he was awarded with the title of Violin Vadhya Chakravarthy in New York, U.S.A
• Govt. of Tamil Nadu, India awarded him with the title Kalaimamani in 1978
• He won Kerala Sangeetha Nataka academy award, India in 1979
• In 1980, he won T.Chowdiah award at Karnataka, India
• 1982 Central Sangeetha Nataka Academy award, India
• In 1997, he received Sapathagiri Sangeetha Vidwanmani by Thirupathi Devasthanam, India
• In 1998he was conferred with Sangeetha Kalanidhi by Madras Music Academy, Chennai, India
• Government of India awarded him with the Padma Bhushan in the year 2012