8 January to 14 January 2018: JagranJosh weekly quizzes will help you revise for competitive exams at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences of the week. The quizzes in this week’s segment cover topics including 75th Golden Globe Award, Cartosat-2 satellite launched and Khelo India logo among others.
1. Who became the first African-American to win 75th Golden Globe Award for best actor in a drama television series?
a) Sterling K Brown
b) Will Smith
c) Ewan McGregor
d) Alexander Skarsgard
2. Name the creator of iconic Old Munk rum who died recently at the age of 88.
a) Ram Mohan Meakins
b) Kapil Mohan
c) Sahil kukreja
d) Arun Dhir
3. GOLD and ICON Missions were recently announced to be launched to explore area above earth's surface. These missions will be launched by which organisation?
4. Which Indian railway station entered the Limca Book of Records for having all-woman staff?
5. US approved the sale of anti-ballistic missile worth USD 133 million to which country?
b) South Korea
6. India on 12 January 2018 launched how many satellites including Cartosat-2?
7. Who became the first Indian to win an international medal in skiing?
a) Deepika Singh
b) Soumitra Chatopadhyay
c) Anchal Thakur
d) Santoshi Rani
8. The Khelo India logo reflecting the freshness, agility and vitality of New India was launched in which city?
d) New Delhi
9. The Supreme Court ordered a stay on which HC’s order that overturned the 2014 government regulation that packets of tobacco products must carry pictorial warning covering 85 per cent of the packaging space?
a) Allahabad HC
b) Karnataka HC
c) Delhi HC
d) Madras HC
10. The World Hindi Day (WHD) is observed every year on which date?
a) 9 January
b) 10 January
c) 11 January
d) 12 January
1. (a) Sterling K Brown
Actor Sterling K Brown created history by becoming the first African-American to win 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards for best actor in a drama television series for his role as Randall Pearson on NBC’s breakout hit “This Is Us”.
2. (b) Kapil Mohan
Kapil Mahon, the creator of iconic Old Munk rum, passed away on 6 January 2017 at the age of 88. He was the chairperson and managing director of the Mohan Meakin brewery. He was awarded India’s fourth highest civilian award Padma Shri in 2010.
3. (c) NASA
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on 4 January 2018 announced to launch two missions to explore 60 miles (96 KM) of area above Earth's surface. The Global-scale Observations of the Limb and Disk (GOLD) mission will be launched aboard a commercial communications satellite in January 2018 itself, while the other mission Ionospheric Connection Explorer (ICON) will be launched later in 2018.
4. (d) Matunga
The Matunga suburban station on the Central Railway (CR) entered the Limca Book of Records for having an all-woman staff. The achievement comes six months after Matunga became the first railway station in the country to be run by an all- woman staff.
5. (a) Japan
The US government approved the sale of anti-ballistic missiles to Japan to defend itself against a growing nuclear and missile threat from North Korea. The State Department asked Congress to approve the US $133 million sale of the four missiles and related hardware.
6. (b) 31
India on 12 January 2018 launched 31 satellites including a remote sensing satellite Cartosat-2. Among them, three are Indian and the rest 28 are from six nations including Canada, Finland, France, South Korea, UK and the United States of America.
7. (c) Aanchal Thakur
Aanchal Thakur created history by becoming the first Indian to register an international medal in skiing. The 21-yeard old Manali resident won a Bronze medal in the slalom race category at Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup held in Erzurum, Turkey.
8. (d) New Delhi
The vibrant Khelo India logo reflecting the freshness, agility and vitality of New India was launched at a simple ceremony by the Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi. The logo also conveys an impression of fitness and competitiveness.
9. (b) Karnataka HC
The Supreme Court of India on 8 January 2018 stayed the Karnataka High Court order, which overturned the 2014 government regulation that packets of tobacco products must carry pictorial warning covering 85 per cent of the packaging space.
10. (b) 10 January
The World Hindi Day (WHD) is observed every year on 10 January to mark the first anniversary of World Hindi Conference (WHC) which was held in 1975. The first WHC was inaugurated by then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. Apart from India, the language is also spoken in Nepal, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Fiji and Mauritius.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.