MK Narayanan, the Governor of West Bengal on 30 June 2014 tendered his resignation to the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee. Narayanan’s resignation came within a week after being questioned by the CBI as a witness in connection with its probe into 3600-crore rupees VVIP chopper from Anglo-Italian firm AgustaWestland.
He is the first ever person holding a gubernatorial post to be questioned by the agency. He was questioned as at the time of the chopper deal, he was the national security adviser to the Prime Minister. He had presided over a meeting which made changes to technical specifications for VVIP Choppers.
Narayanan (80-year-old) was asked to appear before the CBI officers to record his statement in connection with the deal. CBI questioned him as he was a part of the group that went into the tendering procedures before purchase of helicopters.
• Before being appointed as the Governor of West Bengal, Narayanan served as the National Security Advisor.
• He was appointed as the governor of West Bengal on 24 January 2010 before Trinamool Congress came into power
• His tenure as a Governor was supposed to end on 15 January 2015
• In 2004, he was appointed as the security advisor to the Prime Minister in 2004 by the UPA government.
• He is an IPS officer of the 1955 batch and from 1987 to 1992, he was IB Director
When: 30 June 2014