World Hydrography Day (WHD) 2016 was observed on 21 June 2016 across the world.
The theme for the WHD 2016 was Hydrography - the key to well-managed seas and waterways. The theme tries to focus attention on the fundamental importance of hydrography.
The World Hydrography Day also marks the 95th anniversary of the establishment of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).
The day is celebrated to increase public awareness of the vital role that hydrography plays in everyone’s life.
• On 29 November 2005, the United Nations adopted Resolution A/60/30 to welcome the adoption by the International Hydrographic Organization of the World Hydrography Day to be celebrated annually on 21 June.
• The theme for the World Hydrography Day 2015 was Our seas and waterways - yet to be fully charted and explored.
What is hydrography?
• Hydrography involves measuring the depth of the water and fixing the position of all the navigational hazards that lie on the seafloor.
• Hydrography also involves measuring the tide and the currents.
• It is done mainly with specialised ships and boats operating echo sounders and sonars. Survey aircraft fitted with lasers are also used to measure the depth.
• Hydrographic information is required for the safe, competent and sustainable conduct of every human activity that takes place in, on or under the sea.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App