11 July: World Population Day
The World Population Day was observed on 11 July 2017 with the theme Family Planning: Empowering People, Developing Nations.
Around the world, some 225 million women who want to avoid pregnancy are not using safe and effective family planning methods, for reasons ranging from lack of access to information or services to lack of support from their partners or communities. Most of these women with an unmet demand for contraceptives live in 69 of the poorest countries on earth.
About World Population Day
• World Population Day is an annual event observed on 11 July every year.
• The day seeks to raise awareness of global population issues.
• The event was established by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in 1989.
• The day aims at increasing people's awareness on various population issues such as the importance of family planning, gender equality, poverty, maternal health and human rights.
• The world population as of 1 January 2014 is estimated to be 7137661030.
• The theme of the 2016 World Population Day was Investing in teenage girls.
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports