World Theatre Day celebrated on 27 March 2017
To mark the occasion, special shows and events were organised by the theatre community across the world.
27 March: World Theatre Day
The World Theatre Day was celebrated on 27 March 2017 across the globe. To mark the occasion, various national and international theatre events were organised by the International Theatre Institute (ITI) Centres and the international theatre community.
The message author of 2017 is Isabelle Huppert, the theatre and cinema actress from France.
About World Theatre Day
• Since 1962, World Theatre Day has been celebrated by ITI Centres, ITI Cooperating Members, theatre professionals, theatre organizations, theatre universities and theatre lovers all over the world on the 27th of March.
• This day is a celebration for those who can see the value and importance of the art form “theatre”.
• The day acts as a wake-up-call for governments, politicians and institutions which have not yet recognised its value to the people and its potential for economic growth.
• While the Russian Dramatist Anatoly Vasiliev was the World Theatre Day International Message Author 2016, Krzysztof Warlikowski was the International Message Author for the 2015 celebrations.
About International Theatre Institute (ITI)
• The International Theatre Institute (ITI) was created by theatre and dance experts, with the assistance of UNESCO, in 1948.
• It has developed into the largest organization for the performing arts with over 100 Centres and Cooperating all over the world.
• ITI organizes the International Dance Day and World Theatre Day every year at the UNESCO, Paris.