National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate Ramnath Kovind has become 14th President of India. The formal announcement of his name as the President was made at 4:22 in the evening. In the presidential election of 2017, Ramnath Kovind got 7,02,044 votes, while his opponent and a candidate of 17 opposition parties Meira Kumar got 3,67,314 votes. In this article, we are giving details of 10 amazing facts about 14th President of India Ramnath Kovind.
Image source: News State
1. 71-year-old Ramnath Kovind is a Dalit leader from Kanpur. He was born on 1st October 1945 in Paraunkh village of Kanpur Dehat district. He was the President of BJP Dalit Front from 1998 to 2002, President of the All India Koli Society and also the representative of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in IIM-Calcutta.
2. He graduated from Kanpur University in law and commerce both subject.
3. After graduation from Kanpur University, Kovind moved to Delhi to prepare for the Indian Administrative Services (IAS) entrance examination. He failed to pass the Civil Services Examination in his first two attempts. Finally, in his third attempt, he was succeeded in Civil Services Examination. However, he was selected for allied services, so he did not join civil service and started working as an advocate.
4. Ramnath Kovind was nominated as a lawyer in Delhi Bar Council in 1971. He was a Central Government advocate in Delhi High Court from 1977 to 1979, whereas from 1980 to 1993, he was the permanent counsellor of the Central Government in the Supreme Court. In 1978, he became the Advocate-on-record in the Supreme Court. He worked in Delhi High Court and Supreme Court for almost 16 years from 1977 to 1993.
Image source: Naidunia
5. He was elected and became a Rajya Sabha MP from the state of Uttar Pradesh in April 1994. He served a total of twelve years, two consecutive terms, until March 2006. He was also represented India in the United Nations and addressed the United Nations General Assembly in October 2002.
6. Ramnath Kovind has worked as a member of several important parliamentary committees, including Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Schedule Castes / Scheduled Tribes, Parliamentary Committee on Home Affairs, Parliamentary Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas, Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment and Parliamentary Committee on Law and Justice. He has also worked as the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha House Committee.
7. Before joining the BJP in 1977, Ramnath Kovind also worked as the Private Secretary of then Prime Minister Morarji Desai.
8. Ramnath Kovind has also worked as a board member at Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar University in Lucknow and Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata. He has also worked as the National Spokesperson of Bhartiya Janta Party.
Image source: hindi.news18.com
9. On 8 August, 2015 President Pranab Mukherjee appointed Ramnath Kovind as Governor of Bihar.
10. Ramnath Kovind has donated his ancestral house to the villagers of Paraunkh as a "Marriage Hall" or "Community Hall".
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.