Dachigam National Park: Home of the Hangul
Dachigam National Park was established in 1981 and it is located in the high altitude temperate zone in Jammu & Kashmir which is only 22 km away from the Srinagar. The average height of the park is 2990 meters from the sea level. The park is spread in 141 kms. Main trees found in the park are; Himalayan moist temperate evergreen, moist deciduous and shrubs, deodar, pine and oak. The term Dachigam stands ‘ten villages’.
Location of Dachigam National Park-
Snow Leopard at Dachigam National Park-:
Hangul or Kashmir Stag-
Birds at Dachigam National Park-
Facts about Dachigam National Park-
• Dachigam National Park is located 22 kms from Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir.
• The name literally stands for 'ten villages.
• This park was established in 1981.
• The average height of the park is 2990 meters from mean sea level.
• This park is located in the high altitude temperate zone.
• It is scattered in 141 kms. Srinagar is the nearest city from this park.
• Main trees found in the park are; Himalayan moist temperate evergreen, moist deciduous and shrubs, deodar, pine and oak.
• Dachigam was initially established to ensure the supply of clean drinking water to Srinagar city.
• The park is best known as the home of the Hangul, or Kashmir stag.
• Himalayan Black Bear are visible in the lower reaches from spring to autumn and hibernate in winter.
• Long-Tailed Marmots are very conspicuous during summer in the upper reaches while Mouse Hare are active throughout the year.
• The National Park occupies almost half of the catchment zone of the famous Dal Lake and still plays a crucial role is supplying clean drinking water to the inhabitants of Srinagar.
• Important wildlife species of this park are leopard, snow leopard, black bear, brown bear, jungle cat, Himalayan marmot, musk deer, serow and red fox. Amongst the birds, pheasant’s koklas and monal, bulbul, minivet, barred vulture, golden eagles are common.
• The best period for visiting the park is from March to June. The park has lodges and rest houses for the tourists.
• Dachigam is best considered as two parts. Lower Dachigam is more accessible to a visitor while Upper Dachigam is a day's trek.