Jharkhand: Department of Commercial Taxes
Profile of Department of Commercial Taxes
Department of Commercial Taxes plays an incredibly noteworthy part in the internal resources mobilization of State Government of Jharkhand and financial statements for almost 80 percent of the overall internal resources. Soon subsequent to the conception of the novel state of Jharkhand, the Department of Commercial Taxes was constituted in the State as the foremost earner of state income.
At present the Secretary – cum - Commissioner of Commercial Taxes is the Department Head. He is aided by Joint Commissioners, Additional Commissioner, Assistant Commissioners, Deputy Commissioners, Commercial Taxes Officers and Under Secretaries at the Headquarter level for smooth implementation of the Department.
At the field level, the Departmental construction comprises of 5 Divisions and 28 Circles lead by Deputy. Commissioner (I/c) and Joint Commissioner (Admin) respectively assisted by Commercial Tax Officers and Assistant Commissioners.
Functions of Department
- Levy and compilation of VAT (Value Added Tax), Central Sales Tax, Electricity Duty, Entry Tax, Entertainment Tax, Hotel Luxuries Tax, Professions Tax and Advertisement Tax
- Monitoring and registration of dealers to expand Tax base
- Scrutiny and receipt of returns cased with the Department
- Audit and Assessment at normal intervals and taking up actions to restrain tax - avoidance and tax - evasion
- Passing of Refund
- Comprehension of arrears of Tax Revenue
- Decree of arguments through Appellate, Legal and Administrative Measures