On Wednesday, 90% of the Secondary Schools Certificate (SSC) candidates from Kolhapur division gave their first ever computerized aptitude test conducted by the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (MSBSHSE). The total number of students in the Kolhapur Division who will give the SSC examination is 1.5 lakh, off which 1.4 lakh students took it on Wednesday. The remaining 10% students are expected to get the test on Thursday.
According to Sharad Gosavi, the Kolhapur divisional board secretary, “There are very few schools from the division yet to finish with the test and they have all been told to complete it by Thursday.” The test had received a minor jolt in the last week when a school based in Kagal had complained that they had to pay money to give the test. It later came to light that the school had taken its 34 students to a private firm for the examination, from where they were charged Rs. 20 each for the examination. Gosavi said regarding the matter that, “After we received the complaint, a probe was initiated and the school was instructed to return the money to the respective students.”
Gosavi further stated that barring this incident the overall examination went smooth in the Kolhapur, Sangli and Satara districts of the division. He further said, “It is a psychological analysis of a student and will serve as a report only for him or her and the parents. Whether to consider it or not will be totally their decision. The questions in the test were such that they do not require the students to prepare and so eventually there was no time wasted during the class X studies.”
The tests organized by the government of Maharashtra were made compulsory and the schools were told to take at least four sessions a day regarding the same. Along with the regular SSC result, this test result would also come out. The candidates are going for the SSC board examination this year from 1 March across the state.