If we talk about top two search engines in the world and the oldest ones, everyone will take these two names – Yahoo & Google. Both were started in the 90s. Yahoo and Google provide very similar services. And they are very close competitors of each other. Yahoo was launched before google, so what was lacking which created space for Google. Let us see in this case study.
Services provided by Yahoo:
1. Yahoo is both a search engine and mailing service.
2. One can post messages via web or email to group.
3. Photo album of up to 100 GB can be created.
4. File storage of up to 100 MB is provided.
5. There is an option for folders, text labels for each link.
6. Members can create multiple-choice polls.
7. Member list can be created by an individual.
8. Calendar scheduling option is available.
9. Yahoo group was launched in 1995, 3 years before Google.
Services provided by Google:
Google mainly known as a search engine but provides many extensive features like –
1. Advertising services like -
• Google AdSense and Google Ad Planner
• Google Grants
• Google Think Insights
• Wildfire which is a social media marketing software
2. Communication and publishing tools -
• Google Keep which is used for note keeping
• Google 3D Warehouse
• Google Apps
• Blogger Google Bookmarks
• Google Calendar
• Google Docs – document, spreadsheet, drawing and presentation application, with document collaboration and publishing capabilities.
• Google Hangouts – an instant messaging and video chat platform
• Gmail (Google Mail)
• Goo.gl – URL shortener
• Google+ – Google's social networking service.
3. Development tools like Webmaster
4. Map related tools
5. Statistical tools like Google Analytics and trends
Google has launched hundreds of desktop and mobile applications along with its own browser called Google chrome. Google has done approximately 160 acquisitions which is a huge number for any organization.
Clearly Google came out to be the favorite one among the two. With varied features and services provided by it. Let us see what Google did differently.
What Google did differently?
1. Google launched a very popular video network called YouTube. There is no competition for this product as of now.
2. Google has its own very user friendly web browser called Google Chrome widely used all over the world.
3. Google has its business analytics solution called Google Analytics which is very popular.
4. Google Ads are a very good source for any company to earn leads and be present at the top in Google Search engine.
5. Google has launched thousands of new services on a regular basis.
6. Google combined general user needs to business community users needs by providing ample options for business purpose.
Yahoo users have been shifting to Google on a continuous basis. In fact, Google has become synonymous to searching. It is a huge achievement for any company and product.