Current Affairs should be given priority in the IAS Preparation. Current Affairs section of the IAS Syllabus is the most dynamic section and is requires a daily update in the whole IAS Preparation. IAS Preparation is the evolution of the perspective. It requires the macro analysis of the current affairs topics which affects the Socio-Economic condition of the nation. Here are Current Affairs based questions for September 2017.
Q1. The Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee (CSMC) in Ministry of Tourism have approved projects for development of Heritage circuits across India. Consider the following statements regarding the recent schemes launched under Ministry of tourism:
1. PRASAD for Integrated Development of Tourist Spiritual Circuits around Specific Themes.
2. Swadesh Darshan to beautify and improve the amenities and infrastructure at indentified pilgrimage centers of all faiths
Which of the following statements is/are correct?
c)Both 1 and 2
d)Neither 1 nor 2
The Ministry of Tourism has launched two new schemes in the last financial year:
1.Swadesh Darshan for Integrated Development of Tourist Circuits around Specific Themes.
2.National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Augmentation Drive (PRASAD) to beautify and improve the amenities and infrastructure at pilgrimage centers of all faiths.
Name of Scheme
Name of Circuits/Cities for implementation
North-East India Circuit, Buddhist Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Desert Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
Ajmer, Amritsar, Amaravati, Dwarka, Gaya, Kamakhya, Kanchipuram, Kedarnath, Mathura, Patna, Puri, Varanasi and Velankanni.
Under the ‘PRASAD’ scheme the focus is on development and beautification of the identified pilgrimage destinations.
Whereas, in the ‘Spiritual Circuit’ identified under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, the thrust is on development of particular thematic circuit consisting of various religious/spiritual destinations in a State and Union Territory.
Q2. Recently, Sri Lanka became the second country in the Southeast Asia region to be declared malaria-free. Consider the following statements given below regarding the objectives of India’s National Framework for Malaria Elimination launched 2016?
1.Reduce incidence of malaria to less than 1 case per 1000 population in all States/UTs and the districts and malaria elimination in 31 states/UTs by 2024.
2.Prevent re-establishment of local transmission of malaria in areas where it has been eliminated and to maintain malaria-free status of the country by 2030.
Which of the following above statement is/are not correct?
c)Both 1 and 2
d)Neither 1nor 2
Both the statements are correct.
The Health Minister launched the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME) 2016-2030, which outlines India’s strategy for elimination of the disease by 2030.
The objectives of the NFME are to:
1) Eliminate malaria from all low (Category 1) and moderate (Category 2) endemic states/UTs (26) by 2022;
2) Reduce incidence of malaria to less than 1 case per 1000 population in all States/UTs and the districts and malaria elimination in 31 states/UTs by 2024;
3) interrupt indigenous transmission of malaria in all States/ UTs (Category by 2027;
4) Prevent re-establishment of local transmission of malaria in areas where it has been eliminated and to maintain malaria-free status of the country by 2030.
The milestones and targets are set for 2016, 2020, 2022, 2024, 2027 and 2030 by when the entire country has sustained zero indigenous cases and deaths due to malaria for 3 years and initiated the processes for certification of malaria elimination status to the country.
Current Affairs for IAS Prelims Exam 2017: September 2016 Questions I
Q3. With reference to ‘Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal (BBIN) motor vehicle agreement’, sometimes seen in news, which of the statements given is/are correct?
1.BBIN agreement will promote safe, economical efficient and environmentally sound road transport in the sub-region.
2.It will help each member country in creating an institutional mechanism for regional integration.
3.BBIN countries will be benefited by mutual cross border movement of only goods.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
b)1 and 2
c)1,2 and 3
d)None of the above
The first cargo truck under the Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal (BBIN) Motor Vehicle Agreement for across border reached Delhi on 27th august as trial run.
Key features of BBIN:
i.Signing of the BBIN agreement will promote safe, economical efficient and environmentally sound road transport in the sub-region and will further help each country in creating an institutional mechanism for regional integration.
ii.BBIN countries will be benefited by mutual cross border movement of passenger and goods for overall economic development of the region.
iii.This agreement helps in regulation of Passenger, Personal and Cargo Vehicular Traffic amongst BBIN.
So statement 3 is wrong
The people of the four countries will benefit through seamless movement of goods and passenger across borders. Each Party will bear its own costs arising from implementation of this agreement.
Q4. Which of the following is a purpose of ‘NIDHI’, a scheme of government of India?
a)Providing technical and financial assistance to programs in the field of renewable sources of energy.
b)Providing for financial turnaround and revival of power distribution companies.
c)It is an umbrella program pioneered by the Department of Science & Technology (DST) for nurturing ideas and innovations (knowledge-based and technology-driven) into successful startups.
d)Providing electricity to every household in the country by 2018.
NIDHI (National Initiative for Development and Harnessing Innovations), an umbrella program is pioneered by the Department of Science & Technology(DST), Government of India, for nurturing ideas and innovations (knowledge-based and technology-driven) into successful startups.
1. NIDHI focuses on building a seamless and innovation driven entrepreneurial ecosystem especially by channelizing youth towards it and thereby bringing in the positive impact on the socio-economic development of the country.
2. The program aims to provide technological solutions not only to the pressing needs of the society but also targets to create new avenues for wealth and job creation.
3. NIDHI strengthens all the links of the innovation chain from scouting to sustaining to securing to scaling to showcasing.
4. The key stakeholders of NIDHI includes various departments and ministries of the central government, state governments, academic and R & D institutions, mentors, financial institutions, angel investors, venture capitalists, industry champions and private sectors.
5. NIDHI strongly addresses the new national aspirations by massively scaling up DST’s experience of three decades in promoting innovative startups.
Q5. The government of India has launched Gas4India Campaign to promote the use of natural gas in India. Consider the following statements regarding natural gas as a resource in India.
1.A large amount of India’s natural gas production comes from offshore western regions mainly the Mumbai high.
2.Government is working to increase the share of gas in the country’s energy basket from the present 5%.
3.Government’s aim is to harness synthetic gas from Coal Bed Methane.
Which of the statements is/are correct?
c)1 and 3
d)All of the above
The Union Minister launched Gas4India campaign, aimed at promoting the use of gas in the country. Public and private sector companies working in the sector have joined hands to promote the natural gas sector.
Gas4India is a unified cross-country, multimedia, multi-event campaign to communicate the national, social, economic and ecological benefits of using natural gas as the fuel.
i.Government is working to increase the share of gas in the country’s energy basket from the present 6.5%.
ii.Government is promoting nationwide gas grid and setting up gas infrastructure.
iii.The Government is going to take steps to harness synthetic gas from Coal Bed Methane, and also promoting Bio-CNG and Bio-PNG.