1. The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in first week of October 2014 approved 33 defence proposals. Of these 33 proposals, 19 are related to the foreign direct investment that aims to boost the manufacturing in defence sector.
2. Shipping Corporation of India Limited (SCI) on 7 October 2014 launched India Myanmar Service (IMS) Container service that will operate container services from Chennai to Myanmar. The service will link South and East India to Myanmar via Chennai, Krishnapatnam, Yangoon, Colombo port rotation.
3. Railway Ministry data released on 8 October 2014 said that Railways' revenue earnings have gone up by over 12 percent during 1 April 2014 to 30 September 2014.
1. Bollywood actor, director and producer Aamir Khan on 9 October 2014 was appointed as the Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF in South Asia.
2. Anoop Jain on 8 October 2014 won 2014 Waislitz Global Citizen Award. He was awarded for his exemplified values of a Global Citizen through his work in founding Humanure Power (HP) in Bihar in 2011 that builds community sanitation facilities in rural India.
1. Union Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) on 1 October 2014 approved the appointment of Cramer Ball as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Jet Airways.
2. Karnataka government on 10 October 2014 prohibited the ongoing strike at the auto component maker Bosch’s plant in Bangalore. The workers are on strike since 16 September 2014 in support of their demands pertaining to wages, benefits and regularisation of temporary workers.
3. Swedish telecom gear firm Ericsson on 9 October 2014 signed a Long-Term Evolution (LTE) or 4G network deal with Bharti Airtel. Airtel signed the deal with Ericsson for FDD-LTE network.
4. IT training solutions firm National Institute of Information Technology Limited (NIIT Ltd) on 6 October 2014 appointed Rahul Keshav Patwardhan as its next chief executive officer (CEO). Patwardhan will take charge as CEO on 1 April 2015.
5. Technology giant Hewlett-Packard known as HP on 6 October 2014 announced that it will split itself into two separate publicly traded companies. Besides, it also announced to lay off another 5000 employees and invest the saved money on account of lower headcount into research and development.
6. Chinese firm Anbang Insurance Group Co Ltd on 6 October 2014 acquired the New York luxury hotel Waldorf Astoria for 1.95 billion US dollars. The Waldorf Astoria is owned and managed by Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc.
7. Communication and aviation electronic solutions firm Rockwell Collins on 7 October 2014 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) agreement with the Hyderabad-based Zen Technologies to tap the Indian defence market.
8. Skype’s parent company, Microsoft on 7 October 2014 announced that Skype will stop the calling facility from its application on mobile and landline phones within India. The facility will be stopped from 10 November 2014.
9. Hinduja group company Gulf Oil Lubricants India Ltd (GOLIL) on 8 September 2014 tied up with Mahindra & Mahindra Limited (M&M).
10. Cipla Medpro on 9 October 2014 announced that it has inked a collaboration pact with Teva Pharmaceuticals of Israel for sales and distribution of the latter's drugs in South Africa.
11. Bombay High Court on 10 October 2014 ruled in favour of Vodafone in 3200 crore rupees tax dispute case. The ruling was given by the division bench of the Bombay High Court, headed by Chief Justice Mohit Shah.
1. Third International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC) was observed across the world on 11 October 2014. The theme was Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence.
2. International edition of Encyclopedia of Hinduism by India Heritage Research Foundation was released in New Delhi on 10 October 2014. The encyclopedia was released by Vice-President of India Hamid Ansari. It consists of 11-volumes and approximately 7000 entries.
3. Museum of Modern Art in New York on 3 October 2014 announced to honour the Academy award winning Mexican Director Alfonso Cuaron. He will be honoured at an annual Film Benefit gala scheduled to be held on 10 November 2014 in New York.
4. Pakistani child education activist Malala Yousafzai and Indian child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi on 10 0ctober 2014 won the Nobel Peace Prize 2014. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by the Norwegian Nobel Committee in Oslo.
5. A book titled A Man and A Motorcycle, How Hamid Karzai Came to Power written by Bette Dam was launched in September 2014. Bette Dam is a Dutch journalist based in Afghanistan.
6. French author Patrick Modiano on 9 October 2014 won the Nobel Prize for literature for the year 2014. The Nobel Prize for Literature is granted by the Swedish Academy.
7. Eric Betzig, Stefan W Hell and William E. Moerner on 8 October 2014 won the 2014 Nobel Prize for Chemistry for the development of super-resolved fluorescence microscopy.
1. Union Ministry of Science & Technology on 11 October 2014 launched The Maithreyi International Visiting Professorship in New Delhi. The programme will be jointly supported by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Department of Science and Technology (DST) of the Union government.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) on the birth anniversary of Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan on 11 October 2014. SAGY will be implemented under the overall supervision of Union Ministry of Rural Development.
3. Union Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) on 10 October 2014 constituted a 17-member Committee to suggest ways to decongest roads of New Delhi.
4. Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan on 10 October 2014 launched the National Mental Health Policy of India. It was the first ever Mental Health Policy of India which was launched on the occasion of first ever National Mental Health Day organised by the Union government.
5. The Post Sachar Evaluation Committee headed by Prof. Amitabh Kundu submitted its final report to the Union Minister for Minority Affairs Najma Heptullah on 9 October 2014.
6. Union Government launched Swachhta Udyami Yojana – Swachhta Se Sampannta ki Aur of National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation. The scheme was launched by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Sudarshan Bhagat on 2 October 2014.
1. In Tennis, the 17-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer won his maiden ATP Shanghai Masters trophy.
2. Government Girls Senior Secondary (GGSS) School of Hisar, Haryana on 10 October 2014 won the Under-17 title of the 55th Subroto Cup football tournament.
3. International Cricket Council (ICC) on 8 October 2014 banned the Zimbabwe bowler Prosper Utseya and Bangladeshi bowler Sohag Gazi from bowling in international cricket. They were banned after ICC found that both the off-spinners exceeded the 15 degree limit of arm extension in their bowling action.
4. 17th Asian Games Incheon 2014 was held in Incheon, South Korea from 19 September to 4 October 2014, featuring 439 events in 36 sports. It is officially called XVII Asiad. It is governed by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA). The theme of the 2014 Asian Games is Meet Asia’s Future.
5. Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni on 6 October 2014 became the co-owner of the Indian Super League franchise Chennaiyin FC.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
BIT Health Centre, Mesra Recruitment 2018: Apply for 5 Medical Officer and Staff Nurse Posts
ESIC Guwahati Recruitment 2018: Apply for 5 Specialist and Senior Resident Posts
CGST, Central Excise Dept Recruitment 2018 for 14 Hawaldar Posts against Sports Quota
NHM Chandigarh Recruitment 2018, Apply for 11 Medical Officer Posts