In the fast-paced world that we live in, the way we find jobs and get employed has also undergone a drastic change. Even companies today are looking for the best talent available in the country and geographical limitations are not really a challenge either for the employee or the employer. This is one of the prime reasons for the rise of telephonic interview rounds. Employers prefer telephonic interview as it saves them the cost of conducting job interviews, whereas job seekers like this options as it saves time and effort to actually go for a physical interview. Basically, telephonic interviews are a win-win situation for both.
Many candidates think that a telephonic interview round is easy and that they do not have to worry about clothes or mannerisms in them. This is completely untrue. Despite being conducted over a phone conversation, a telephonic interview round is still very much the part of interview process. In fact, the challenge for job seekers in a telephonic interview is multiplied manifolds as s/he has to impress the interviewer only on the basis of their voice and conversation skills.
The biggest question that haunts job seekers regarding a Telephonic Interview is how to prepare for them. You don’t get to see the other person’s face and the interviewer judges you mostly on the tone of your voice. But there is a certain amount of preparedness that can make the process manageable.
The best way to crack a telephonic interview is by being prepared for it. So let’s look at how can you prepare yourself to crack a telephonic interview.
1. Be ready with your resume: Keep it in front of you so that you can glance at it in case the interviewer asks you a question about details mentioned therein.
2. Keep a notepad ready: During a telephonic interview, you have the options to note down a few things, it can be pointers about a question that is asked or points about how to answer a particular question. So, always Be ready with a pen and a paper to take down notes if needed.
3. Research about the Company: Like a formal in-person interview, you will also have to know a few things about the company you are interviewing for. So, do a bit of research and find out key persons, vision, mission and core business strategy of your future employer. This research will increase your chances of leaving a favourable impression on the interviewer.
4. List of accomplishment: Prepare a list of your achievements strengths and weaknesses with appropriate examples as a proof to your claims. This is a huge advantage of a phone interview.
5. Place with No Distractions: Pick a place for your telephonic interview that doesn’t have distractions. You should not be interrupted by kids, pets or friends. Television noise or loud music is a complete no-no for a telephonic round. Such distractions would only break your concentration and create problems during the interview.
6. No Calls: While you are on the phone, make sure you do not get any other calls on the same or any other phone. This may interrupt or distract you from the interview process.
7. Work on your Voice: During a telephonic interview, your voice is your biggest asset. So, practice giving an interview on the phone and record your voice. Notice how confident you are sounding on the phone. Is it impressive or not? Accordingly work on your faults.
8. Formal Clothing: Many candidates opt to dress casually for a telephonic job interview. This might not be the ideal way. So, always consider changing out of your night clothes before the interview. It will induce a certain feeling of professionalism and seriousness in you.
9. Water: Remember, just like in-person interview, telephonic rounds can be extended and run into hours. So, keep a glass of water handy in-case you get thirsty. Plus voice being your biggest asset, keeping a glass of water will be great for you.
1. Manners: Just because you are not sitting in front of the interviewer, it doesn’t give you the right to take a telephonic interview casually. So, eating, chewing gum or smoking are complete No-No when it comes to telephonic interview rounds.
2. No Beds or Couches: Interviewers who conduct telephonic rounds are experts in this field and extra attentive to any detail. They will surely figure out if you are taking the telephonic round from your bed or a comfy couch. So, preferably pick a desk set-up for your job interview. In case that is no available, stand and talk, it will help you articulate better.
3. Avoid Awkward Silence: If you need some time to think over an answer then informs the interviewer to avoid awkward silence on the phone. It is alright to take a few moments to collect your thoughts. Do not feel hesitant to ask.
4. Water: Sip water from time to time. It will calm you down.
5. Talk Slowly: Make sure you are not talking too fast. Enunciate your words clearly and be audible.
6. Seek Feedback: You cannot read your interviewer’s body language. Therefore, it becomes difficult to judge whether he/she is following you or not. It is good to ask them in the middle if they are able to understand your point or not.
7. Smile: Keep smiling as you talk even if the interviewer cannot see you. Smiling will cheer you up and it will be communicated across the telephone.
8. Personalize the interview: Ask the interviewer’s name in the beginning as you introduce yourself. Use it several times in your conversation. It will help you personalize the conversation and leave a lasting impact on the interviewer.
9. Do not interrupt the interviewer: Wait for your turn to talk. Note down your thoughts on a paper to avoid forgetting it completely by the time it is your turn.
10. Gratitude: Thank your interviewer before keeping the phone and find out about the next stage in the selection process.
Remember, telephone interview is the same as an in-person interview. Treat it with the same seriousness and you will be fine. I hope that these aforementioned tips will help you to crack a telephonic interview in the near future and get you the dream job you are looking for. If you enjoyed this video, please like it and share it among your friends and fellow job seekers. For more interesting videos about job search and cracking interview process, you can visit our website www.jagranjosh.com.
So until next time, Good Luck and Happy Job Hunting!
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.