In the Civil Services Prelim Examination, the CSAT paper has been made qualifying in nature from 2015 onwards. The candidates have to score at least qualifying marks in the paper but in case, if a candidate could not be able to score the required qualifying marks in CSAT Paper then his/her other papers will not be evaluated. So, it is important for the candidates to do preparation in such a manner that there must not lay them in any suspicion of underscoring.
Category: Simple interest and compound interest
1.Ram invests Rs. 24000 with Bank of Baroda as fixed deposit at a bank at the rate of 10% per annum simple interest. But due to some unavoidable reasons, he has to withdraw the entire money after 3 yr, for which the bank allowed him a lower rate of interest. If he gets Rs. 6640 less than, what he would have got at the end of 5 yr, the rate of interest allowed by bank is
Let the rate of Interest allowed by bank be r%
2. The circumference of the front wheel of a cart is 60 ft long and that of the back wheel is 72 ft long. What is the distance travelled by the cart, when the front wheel has done 8 more revolutions than the rear wheel?
a) 3200 ft
b) 2025 ft
c) 2750 ft
d) 2880s ft
The circumference of the front wheel is 60 ft and that of the rear wheel is 72 feet.
Let the rear wheel make n revolutions. At this time, the front wheel should have made n+8 revolutions.
As both the wheels would have covered the same distance, n*72 = (n+5)*60
72n = 60n + 480
12n = 150
n = 40
Distance covered = 40*72 =2880 ft.
Category: Mixture and allegations
3. A lubricant can be prepared by petrol and diesel. Price of petrol is thrice the price of diesel. Rohan sells the mixture at Rs. 1170 per 10 litres, thereby making a profit of 30%. If the ratio of petrol and diesel in the mixture be 2: 3, find the cost price of diesel.
a) Rs. 90/litre
b) Rs. 50/litre
c) Rs. 60/litre
d) Rs. 40/litre
4. There are 6 different invitation cards and 6 correspondingly addressed boxes. If the invitation cards are randomly put in the boxes, what is the probability that exactly 5 invitation card go into the correctly addressed boxes?
Explanation: If 5 invitation cards go into the correct boxes the sixth would automatically go into its correct box. Thus, there is no possibility when exactly 5 invitation cards are correct and 1 is wrong.
5.A, B and C throw a dice in succession till one gets a ‘six’ and wins the game. Then the probability of C’s winning is.
d) None of these
Category: Problem on ages
6. Ten years ago, Ashish was half as old as Ishita but the ratio of their current age is 3: 4. Find the sum of their current ages.
Let the present ages of Ashish and Ishita be 3x and 4x respectively
Ten year ago,
Ishita’s age = 2 times Ashish’s age
Now, the sum of their current ages= 3x + 4x
Category: Data sufficiency
7.Directions: In each question there are two statements A and B, you have to select the correct answer from (a) to (d) depending upon the sufficiency of data given in the statements to answer the question.
a) If statement A alone is sufficient and statement B alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
b) If statement B alone is sufficient and statement A alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
c) If statements A and B together are sufficient but neither statements alone is sufficient to answer the question.
d) If both the statements A and B together are not sufficient to answer the question.
Find the sum of all the numbers divisible by 7 between 50 and 200?
i The first number divisible by the following is 56 and the last one is 196
ii The number of numbers divisible by 7 is 21
Both the statements are needed
= n(first term +last term)/2
By the statement A we got the first and the last term
By the statement B we got the value of n
Sum = 21(56+196)/2
Category: Data interpretation
Answer the following questions based on the information provided by bar chart given below.
Percentage of households using various appliances in two years
8. By what percentage is the households that used TV more than the households that used refrigerator in 2010?
9.If the household population is 128 million in 2010, how many more people used TV than a car?
a) 19.2 million
b) 18.8 million
c) 19 million
d) 19.4 million
10. Which of the appliances has the lowest rate of increase from 2009 to 2010?
b) Washing Machine