IAS questions based current issues happenings are very efficient for IAS preparation. Every IAS aspirant should focus on such questions before the IAS Prelims Exam. We have provided IAS questions based on the current affairs are very important for IAS Prelims Exam 2018.
1. Who among the following Indian scientists becomes the first Asian to be chosen for the prestigious Von Hippel Award for his immense contribution in materials research?
a. C.N.R Rao
b. D. Sivananda Pai
c. Vishwanath Mohan
d. Ashoke Sen
Eminent scientist, Professor C.N.R Rao, has become the first Asian to be chosen for the prestigious Von Hippel Award for his immense contribution in materials research. The award is the US-based Materials Research Society’s (MRS) highest honour.
The award citation noted Mr. Rao’s immense work on novel functional materials, including nanomaterials (having particles of nanoscale dimensions), graphene (the strongest and thinnest material) and 2D materials, superconductivity, and colossal magnetoresistance (change in electrical resistance of a material in a magnetic field).
2. Gadaakutta, Sapuri, Betra, Kolarikuji, Laakdikuji, Umriachuri, Limchuri Asamchuri and Bagurichuri are the varieties of which of the following crops in the state of Odisha?
c. Cashew nut
India is rice country: the cereal provides daily sustenance for over 60% of Indians and occupies the greatest cultivated area. But its primacy belies a darker story of genetic and cultural erosion.
Baunsunimundi, Haldi-dhaan, Gadaakutta, Sapuri-dhaan, Betra-dhaan, Kolarikuji, Laakdikuji, Umriachuri, Limchuri, Asamchuri, Bagurichuri, Mayer-dhaan and Patraa-dhaan are the varieties of paddy grown in Odisha.
3. Which of the following is India's first indigenously built Scorpene submarine delivered to Indian Navy recently?
a. INS Vikram
b. INS Kalvari
c. INS Godavari
d. INS Kaveri
Mazagon Docks Ltd; (MDL) will soon hand over INS Kalvari to the Indian Navy—the first of six Scorpene submarines being built in India in collaboration with French shipbuilder, Naval Group (formerly DCNS). Though the dates are not confirmed yet, the first Scorpene submarine is likely to be commissioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi—it will be a re-affirmation of India’s capability to build submarines and a major boost for the ‘Make in India’ programme of the government. With 30% indigenous components on board, the Made-in-India submarine is part of the ongoing project for the construction of six Scorpene-class submarines at MDL in Mumbai on the transfer of technology from the French company.
4. Recently, the State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made a significant oil discovery to the west of its prime Mumbai High fields in the Arabian sea. Consider the following statements regarding this:
1. The discovery in the well WO-24-3 is estimated to hold an in-place reserve of about 20 million tonnes.
2. Mumbai High, India's biggest oil field, currently produces 205,000 barrels of oil per day (just over 10 million tonnes per annum) and the new find would add to that production in less than two years time.
Which of the above statements is true?
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made a significant oil discovery to the west of its prime Mumbai High fields in the Arabian sea. The discovery in the well WO-24-3 is estimated to hold an in-place reserve of about 20 million tonnes, he said.
Mumbai High, India's biggest oil field, currently produces 205,000 barrels of oil per day (just over 10 million tonnes per annum) and the new find would add to that production in less than two years time.
5. Iron Union 5 is a joint military exercise between which of the following countries?
a. India and the USA
b. The USA and UAE
c. India and Japan
d. India and UAE
The US and UAE's ground forces will begin a joint military exercise in Abu Dhabi on Saturday, as part of efforts to consolidate their bilateral relations and exchange training and military expertise.
Code-named Iron Union 5, the drill is an extension of a series of Iron Claw exercises, which the UAE organises with friendly countries to exchange and develop their skills according to the latest advanced military systems.