MAT September 2013: Tips to crack Mathematical Skills
Upcoming Management Aptitude Test (MAT) will be held in September 2013. Find here tips and strategies to score well in Mathematical Skills section of MAT. Read for more details.
Management Aptitude Test (MAT) is conducted by All India Management Association (AIMA) for admission to MBA and allied programs. The test, largest of its kind in the nation, facilitates over 600 B-Schools across the county to screen candidates for admission to various courses.
The MAT test has the following sections:
1. Language Comprehension
2. Mathematical Skills
3. Data Analysis & Sufficiency
4. Intelligence & Critical Reasoning
5. Indian & Global Environment
Mathematical Skills has 40 questions and usually takes maximum time when compared to other sections.
Here are some tips to crack the Mathematical Skills section:
The Mathematical section can be broadly divided under three sub-heads:
a. Geometry and Coordinate Geometry.
b. Algebra and Number Theory.
c. Arithmetic and Miscellaneous.
Most questions would be relatively easy except for the problems based on probability and permutation-combination. It includes Number System, Percentages, Profit and Loss, Speed, Time and Distance, Time and Work, Averages, Simple and Compound Interest. Allegations and Mixtures, Complex Numbers, Inequalities, Permutation and Combination, Sets and Functions, Coordinate Geometry, Trigonometry, Ratio and proportion, Mensuration, Geometry.
To solve this section, keep the following tips in mind:
1. Stick to basics
2. Practice with Practice Papers: Best way to improve your performance in Mathematical Skills is through practice. More you practice; higher will be your speed and accuracy. In MAT examination, speed plays a very crucial role since one needs to attempt 200 questions in 150 minutes.
3. Tricks: Many questions in Mathematical Skills involve shortcuts which can be prepared or are available in books. These are just some direct formulas to solve questions. But, application of such formulas is also very important.
4. Learn tables, square roots, squares and cubes up to 30, and multiplication between common numbers such them you are able to recall them as and when required. This will fasten the calculations.
Click here to practice with MAT Practice Set
Click here to see MAT September 2013 notification
Click here to know the MAT September 2013 Exam Pattern
Click here to know How to Apply to MAT September 2013
MAT September 2013: Tips to crack Language Comprehension
MAT September 2013: Tips to crack Data Analysis and Sufficiency