Chapter 4 (Linear Equations in Two Variables) of Class 9 Maths NCERT Book is provided here in PDF format. Students may download from here the latest edition of the chapter for the current academic session 2021-2022. Along with the chapter pdf, NCERT Solutions for ´Linear Equations in Two Variables` can also be accessed from this article.
About Class 9 Maths Chapter 4 Linear Equations in Two Variables
In this chapter, you will get to learn about linear equations and their applications in real life problems. You will learn methods of solving the linear equations.
Major topics discussed in the chapter are:
→ Introduction to Linear Equations in Two Variables
→ Representing real life problems in form of Linear Equations in Two Variables
→ Finding Solution of a Linear Equation
→ Graph of a Linear Equation in Two Variables
→ Equations of Lines Parallel to the x-axis and y-axis
PDF download of the chapter can be accessed from the following link:
Some important points to revise from the chapter are:
• An equation of the form ax + by + c = 0, where a, b and c are real numbers, such that a and b are not both zero, is called a linear equation in two variables.
• A linear equation in two variables has infinitely many solutions.
• The graph of every linear equation in two variables is a straight line.
• The graph of x = a is a straight line parallel to the y-axis.
• The graph of y = a is a straight line parallel to the x-axis.
• An equation of the type y = mx represents a line passing through the origin.
Download the NCERT Solutions for Class 9 Maths Chapter 4 from the following link:
Try some important questions given below for self assessment:
1. Draw the graph of the equation x − 2y = 0.
2. Find the value of p if (−1, 1) is a solution of the equation px + 8y = 5.
3. Verify that x = 2, y = −1, is a solution of the linear equation 7x + 3y = 11.
4. Write the solution of 4x − 3y = 0.
5. The taxi fare in a city is as follows:
For the first kilometre, the fare is 8 and for the subsequent distance it is 5 per km. Taking the distance covered as x km and total fare as Rs y, write a linear equation for this information, and draw its graph.