Should handwriting be considered for awarding marks in exams
Students are always advised to work on improving their handwriting in schools. In fact, they are provided cursive writing books, writing exercise and even during vacations practising writing on daily basis is included in students holiday homework. But, why so much value is given to handwriting in students' lives? The conflict arises when people start comparing or even criticising an individual on the basis of handwriting. This comparison and ensuing criticism have led to the debate on whether handwriting should be a criterion to decide marks of any student.
Let us discuss and understand the role of handwriting in a student's life and its importance for awarding marks in exams -
Handwriting is necessary for students' marks in exams:
- Handwriting is a beautiful art. It is not only about putting letters on paper but it also indicates how organised and methodical a person is.
- Good handwriting is important even in this era of computer typing and talking writing tools. We should start focusing on handwriting from an early age itself; say 4 or 5 years (Preschool and Kindergarten). It will help the young hands to gather control of their motor skills and also devise their unique writing styles which will develop as they grow up thus adding to their personalities.
- When we write, it creates an invisible yet very strong connection between the brain and content, thus giving us a much better and intense understanding of the matter.
- A good handwriting always attracts attention and appreciation, and subconsciously helps in studies as well. Many types of research have shown that there is a constructive association between good handwriting and better academic performances. Scientists have attributed this phenomenon to the fact that writing using pen and paper enhances memory hence adding up to the remembrance, which is vital at the time of tests and exams.
NCERT Books vs CBSE Board Question Papers
- The impact of handwritten notes is beyond words, be it a greeting card or a letter, nothing can replace the charm of written letters. Moreover, when we write we are more dedicated and focused which lets us be as clear-cut and easy as possible.
- If we inculcate the habit of good handwriting early in our lives then it will benefit us way beyond our student lives right up to the professional lives. So if the students are given a few extra marks or grades for their exceptional handwriting it will only provide them with an advantage in the long run.
How to speak English like a professional?
Handwriting should not be criterion:
- Every person is born unique and has an independent identity so it will not be reasonable to judge all the people, especially students on the basis of just one factor, handwriting!
- No doubt that anyone who has a good attractive handwriting is appreciated and liked by peers and teachers but that does not mean that the students who do not possess this quality should be sidelined or mocked at.
- It is not our fault if we don’t have ‘great’ handwriting but we are made to feel bad about it. Even our teachers, friends, and parents want us to improve and write like someone else. Bad handwriting does bring with it its own disadvantages and is very much likely to cut our marks and grades.
- If I have a bad handwriting and I write a test and my teacher is not able to read it properly then certainly I will get very fewer numbers but it is not fair. It is very much possible that if type the answers or say them verbally I will secure full marks.
Top 7 tips to boost your learning abilities
- There are very few people who are left-handers and they find it very difficult to adjust to everyday life because every equipment in the world is made according to the convenience of right-handers, just like desks in class. It is so difficult for left-handers to use the support which is on the right side and write properly.
- Many times, most talented students have a lot of thoughts racing through their minds that they write very quickly resulting in bad handwriting. What they have written might be something very special, original, and innovative. They should be encouraged and appreciated rather than being scoffed.
- If some student has a medical condition that hampers their writing then how will you pass judgements on them? If they can’t hold the pen firmly then how can they write in a good way?
How important is handwriting in CBSE Class 10th and Class 12th board examinations?