SSC English preparation tips
In any competitive examination, English section is a must and if you are good at it, half of your battle is already won. It becomes even more important for Bank and SSC exams as a good number of questions are asked from these topics. You can outsmart others in this section because it is a section of which most of the candidates are scared. Direct / Indirect Speech and Cloze Test are two common types of question that are asked in any competitive examination and these play a major role in deciding the fate of the candidates. Hence, it is very important to understand the importance of these questions and prepare accordingly.
Direct / Indirect Speech: How to Master it?
Direct / Indirect Speech questions are basically narration change questions where you are given a sentence in one speech and you are asked to change it in another speech. The basic difference is that one is without the quotation mark and the other is with the marks. So, how to prepare for it?
Take Online Quiz
- Get the basics right: It is grammar and grammar is always about rules. So, if you want to grasp it, you need to understand the rules and application of those rules in sentences.
- Practice: Practice makes a man perfect and it is no different in this case as well because the more you practice, the more you become confident about that type of questions.
- Remember the exceptions: Competitive examination questions test you on the exceptional rules in a chapter. So, get used to those rules and understand them properly. You will face questions based on those rules instead of the common rules.
SSC English preparation tips and tricks: Sentence Completion
- Understand and not memorize: English Grammar is very logical though it looks vast and large. You can master it if you understand the rules and regulations properly instead of trying to memorize them. So, do not mug it up, rather understand and it will stay with you
- Understand the application: In the examination paper, you have to apply the rules and not write the rules themselves. Hence, go through the examples given after a rule as it will help you understand the application of the rule
Cloze Test: How will you master it?
Cloze test questions are very common in each and every competitive examination and if you are good at it. You can score a handsome 10 marks or 5 marks to your marks kitty which can take you higher in the merit list so that you are selected for that coveted job you are trying for. Many aspirants think that it is very difficult to attempt cloze test questions but actually it is not if you follow certain strategies.
SSC English preparation tips: One word Substitution
- Increase your vocabulary: The most important thing to attempt cloze test questions is to understand the application of words in a context and for that, the only way is to increase your vocabulary by going through the daily newspaper or English books
- Understand the Application of words: You need to understand the various applications of a particular word as you have to place them in a context in the cloze test questions. So, whenever you come across a new word, try to get to the root of it and understand the various applications of the same
- Practice: This is a common remedy for any question since the more you practice, the more you get acquainted with the nuances of something
- Go through English Passages: This will help you understand the importance of con-textual use of words, since you have to do the same in case of cloze test questions. Inculcate the habit of going through English passages and understand the contextual usages of a word
- Get the gist of the passage given: This helps in guessing the right answer because once you understand the summary of the passage; you can place words accordingly in the blanks. Try to get the sense of the passage correct and you can get the answers correct.
SSC English Preparation Tips: Spotting Errors
Narration change questions and cloze test questions are a game changer in English section since they carry a lot of weightage and if you can score well in these questions, your chances of selection go up. English section does not require much time to prepare and does not take much time to attempt as well compared to maths and reasoning sections. So, if these are your weak areas, follow proper strategies and make these your strengths.
All the best!!