UPPCS Mains Exam 2012 General Studies II Question Paper
It is very important to go through last 10 years of Question Papers of UPPCS Mains Exam. For the sake convenience for the UPPCS aspirants, we are continuously providing the Previous Year Question Papers of UPPCS Mains Exam and here is the General Studies Second Paper of UPPCS Mains Exam 2012.
U.P.P.C.S. (Main) Examination - 2012
[Time 2 hours]
1. Which one of the following satellites was successfully launched by India on 29th September, 2012?
2. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer with the help of code given below the lists:
A. Audoiogram 1. Heart
B. E.C.G. 2. Brain
C. E.E.G. 3. Ear
D. Mammogram 4. Breast
3. An iron needle floats on the surface-of water due to :
(a) upthrust of water
(b) surface tension
(d) gravitational force
4. Trans-fat is generally considered to be bad for human health because it lowers the level of
5. There is no atmosphere on the moon because:
(a) it is near to the earth
(b) it receives light from the sun.
(c) it revolves around the earth.
(d) escape velocity of gas molecules on it, is less than the root mean square velocity.
6. The best conductor of electricity amongst the following is
7. Dynamo converts
(a) high voltage into low voltage.
(b) electrical energy into mechanical energy.
(c) mechanical energy into electrical energy.
(d) low voltage into high voltage.
8. If the gravitational force of the earth suddenly disappears, which are of the following will be the correct consequence ?
(a) The weight of an object will become zero but the mass will remain the same.
(b) The mass of the object will become zero but the weight will remain the same.
(c) Both the mass and the weight of the object will become zero
(d) The mass of the object will increase.
9. What is the role of anti-oxidants in human system?
(a) The promote vitamin synthesis.
(b) They prevent excessive oxidation of carbo-hydrates, protein and fat.
(c) They protect cells against the effects of free-radicals
(d) They activate certain genes which delay the aging process.
10. Which one of the following does not increase the amount of car bon-dioxide in carbon cycle on earth?
(c) Decay of organic matter
(d) volcanic action
11. James D. Watson and Francis Crick are associated with the discovery of:
(b) Structure of DNA
(c) Anti-malerial drugs
12. Which one of the following is used as rat poison?
(a) Zinc sulphide
(b) Lead sulphide
(c) Calcium Phosphate
(d) Zinc Phosphate
13. Which one of the following acids is present in sour milk products ?
(a) Acetic Acid
(b) Butyric Acid
(c) Tartaric Acid
(d) Lactic Acid
14. Which one of the following colours is seen in the middle of a rainbow ?
15. Which planet is nearest from the Earth?
16. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer from the codes given below the lists:
A. Anemometer 1. Earthquakes
B. Seismograph pressure 2. Atmospheric
C. Barograph 3. Wind velocity
D. Hygrometer 4. Humidity
17. In a computer, the permanent memory is called:
18. A cut diamond shines brilliantly due to :
(a) its molecular structure
(c) total internal reflection
(d) some other inherent property
19. Which of the following micro organisms are used as biofertilizer?
(a) Cyano bacteria
(d) None of above
20. Which of the following is a transgenic plant ?
(a) Buck wheat
(b) Macaroni wheat
(c) Golden rice
21. Which of the livin tissues acts as the carrier of organic nutrients in highter plants ?
22. Which one of the following is not a green house gas?
(b) Nitrous oxide
(c) Chlorofluoro carbon
23. Noscapine is obtained from
24. Ozone layer occurs mainly in
25. Which one of the following vitamins is- responsible for blood-clotting ?
26. Which one of the following alloys Is called an amalgam ?
(a) Zinc - Copper
(b) Copper - Tin
(c) Mercury - Zinc
(d) Lead - Zinc
27. Which one of the following radio-elements is used to measure the speed of the blood flow in human body?
(a) Radio - Phosphorus
(b) Radio - Iodine
(c) Radio - Iron
(d) Radio - Sodium
28. Which one of the following acids is used in the manufacturing of baking powder ?
(a) Oxalic acid
(b) Lactic acid
(c) Tartaric acid
(d) Benzoic acid
29. The radio isotope used to control blood Cancer (leukaemia) is
(c) Phosphorus - 32
30. Which one of the following organic substances is most abundantly found in nature ?
31. Who amongst the following was not a member of the Drafting Committee of the Constitution ?
(a) Mohammad Sadullah
(b) K.M. Munshi
(c) A.K. Ayyar
(d) Jawaharlal Nehru
32. Which of the following articles of the Indian Constitution empowers the Parliament to legislated with respect to any matter in the State List ?
33. Indian Constitution is
(c) neither rigid nor flexible
(d) partly rigid and partly flexible
34. Which one of the following articles of the Indian Constitution provides1 for All-India Services ?
35. Fundamental duties of Indian citizens are enumerated in :
(a) Part I of the Constitution
(b) Part IV of the Constitution
(c) Part II of the Constitution
(d) Part IV of !he Constitution
36. Establishment of a three-tier Panchayati Raj system was first recommended by:
(a) Ashok Mehta Committee
(b) L.M. Singhvi Committee
(c) Balwantriii Mehta Committee
(d) Surkaria Commission
37. The system of judicial review exists in
(a) India only
(b) U.S.A. only
(c) India and U.S.A.
(d) U.K. only
38. The Rajya Sabha can be dissolved by
(a) The President
(b) The Prime Minister
(c) The Council of Minister
(d) None of the above
39. The British Parliament passed the Indian Independence Act in:
(a) January 1947
(b) June 1947
(c) July 1947
(d) August 1947
40. The idea of Concurrent List in the Indian Constitution has been borrowed from :
41. Which article under the fundamental rights is directly related to the employment of children ?
(a) Article- 19
(b) Article- 17
(d) Article - 24
42. Under the Indian Constitution who amongst the following is considered to be the guardian of the fundamental rights?
(d) Prime Minister
43. The Indian Constitution has to be divided into
(a) 16 Parts
(b) 22 Parts
(c) 24 Parts
(d) 25 Parts
44. Which article of the Indian Constitution empowers the president to consult the Supreme Court ?
(a) Article 129
(b) Article 132
(c) Article 143
(d) Article 32
45. In which of the following cases, the Supreme Court of India enunciated the ‘doctrione of basic structure’ ?
(b) A.K. Gopalan
(c) Keshwanand Bharti
(d) Maneka Gandhi
46. The minimum number of Supreme Court Judges who can hear a case involving a substantial question of law as to the Interpretation of the Constitution is:
47. Which part and chapter of the Indian Constitution deal with the legislative relations between the Union and the States?
(a) Part XI and Chapter I
(b) Part XI and Chapter II
(c) Part XII and Chapter I
(d) Part XII and Chapter II
48. Which one of the following statements regarding Panchayati Raj is not correct?
(a) Panchayat system has been an integral part of Indian village life through the ages.
(b) 73rd Amendment came into effect on 15th August, 1993.
(c) It is a three-tier organically linked structure.
(d) Art. 243-G of the Indian Constitution adds to its importance.
49. Which of the following are Constitutional authorities?
1. State Election Commission
2. Finance Commission
3. Chief-Electoral Officer
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 1, 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 2 and 4 only
(d) All the four
50. Consider the following statements:
1. India is a democratic polity.
2. India is a sovereign state.
3. India has a democratic society.
4. India is a welfare state.
Which of the above statements are true?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 1.2 and 3 only
(c) 2, 3 and 4 only
(d) 1.2, 3 and 4
51. Which of the following are the members of the Electoral College for electing the President of India? Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
1. All the members of the two Houses of Parliament.
2. All the elected members of the State Legislative Assemblies.
3. All the elected members of the U.T. A. Assemblies,
4. All the Governors and Lt-Governors.
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 2 and 3 only
(d) 1,2, 3 and 4
52. Given below are two statements:
Assertion (A) : The Union Executive is headed by the President of India.
Reason (R) : There arc no limitations on the power of the President.
In the context of the above which are off the following is correct?
(a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true, but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(c) (A) is true, but (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false, but (R) is true.
53. The Council of Ministers is collectively responsible:
1. To the House of the People
2. Under a Constitutional obligation
3. As per Article 75 (3)
4. As per Article 74 (3)
Which of the above statements are correct ?
(a) 1, and 2 only
(b) 1, 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
54. Who had ridiculed Congress as representing only a microscopic minority of the people ?
(a) Lord Ripon
(b) Lord Dufferin
(c) Lord Curzon
(d) Lord Wellesley
55. The provision for the establishment of All India Federation was included in the :
(a) Govt, of India Act 1935
(b) August offer 1940
(c) Govt, of India Act 1919
(d) Cabinet Mission Proposal 1946
56. The Constitution of India was enacted on 26 November 1949 by the
(a) Constituent Assembly
(b) Governor General of India
(c) Parliament of India
(d) British Parliament
57. Which one of the following is included in the Directive Principles of State Policy?
(a) Protection in respect of Conviction for offences.
(b) Protection of life and personal liberty.
(c) Protection of interest of minorities.
(d) Equal pay for equal work for both men and women
58. The Vice-President of India is elected by the members of an electoral college comprising
(a) only elected members of both Houses of Parliament.
(b) all the members of both Houses of Parliament.
(c) only elected members of Rajya Sabha and State Assemblies.
(d) only elected members of State Assemblies.
59. On which of the following, a Parliamentary Committee has not been set up ?
(a) Public Undertakings
(b) Government Assurances
(d) Welfare of Minorities
60. Is a State of the Indian Union empowered under the Constitution to take foreign loans directly?
(c) Yes, but only with the permission of the Reserve Bank of India
(d) Yes, but only with the permission of the Reserve Bank of India
61. How is the following frequency distribution classified?
(a) Cumulative distribution in less than type.
(b) Cumulative distribution in more than type.
(c) Dicrete frequency distribution.
(d) Cumulative frequency distribution.
62. Which one of the following is a one dimensional figure?
(a) Bar diagram
63. Types of ogive curves are
(a) more than type distribution
(b) less than type distribution
(c) both (a) and (b)
(d) none of (a) and (b)
64. With the help of ogive curves, one can determine
(d) all the above
65. Mean is a measure of
(c) Central value
(d) None of the above
66. Which of the following is a measure of central tendency ?
(a) Standard Deviation
(b) Mean Deviation
(c) Quartile Deviation
67. X : 12 17 24 36 45
f : 2 5 3 8 9
is classified as
(a) continuous distribution
(b) discrete distribution
(c) cumulative frequency distribution
(d) none of the above
68. The median of eleven observations is 45. If one of the observations 25 is replaced by 36, the median of the new set of observations will be increased by
69. If the mean height of boys in a class is 60 cm, the mean height of girls is 55 cm and the mean height of all the students in the class is 57 cm, what will be the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls ?
70. The following table give in the income and expenditure of a company (in? lakh) for five years.
In which year did the company register highest percentage increase in profit over the previous year’s profit ?
71. If a constant value 10 is subtracted from each observation of a set, the mean of the set will.
(a) increase by 10
(b) decrease by 10
(c) remain the same
(d) be zero
72. What is the relationship between Arithmetic Mean (AM), Geometric Mean (GM) and Hafraonic Mean (HM)?
(a) AM = GM = HM
73. The average of numbers, 7, 9, 12, x, 5, 4,11 is 9. What is the missing number x?
74. A train covered first 5 km of its journey at a speed of 30 km/hr. and next 15 km at a speed of 45 km/ hr. What is the average speed of the train ?
(a) 35 km/hr
(b) 40 km/hr
(c) 32 km/hr
(d) 42 km/hr
75. A distribution consists of three groups having 40, 50 and 60 item. The means of the group are 20,26 and 15 respectively, What will be the mean of the distribution ?
76. It the Arithmetic Mean (AM) of two numbers is 6.5 and their Geometric Mean (GM) is 6, what will be the two numbers?
(a) 6, 9
(b) 5, 9
(c) 6, 7
(d) 4, 9
77. The Arithmetic Mean (AM) and Harmonic Mean (HM) of two numbers are 9 and 4 respectively. What will be their Geometric Mean (GM)?
78. The median of the variate values 11, 7,6,9,12,15, 19 will be
Which of the two series is more consistent?
(a) Series A
(b) Series B
(c) Series A and B are equally consistent
(d) None of the above
80. What will be the variance of the following series ?
X : -3 -2 3 8 9
f : 5 4 22 4 5
81. The probability of two persons being born on the same day (ignoring date) will be
82. In tossing of three fair coins at a time, the probability of getting at most one head is :
91. Which is the odd one amongst the following 4 numbers?
93. Which is the odd one amongst the following?
(a) 26th January
(b) 13th April
(c) 15th August
(d) 2nd October
94. In a row of boys, Rakesh is 11th from the right and Mohan is 15th from the left. If Rakesh is 12th from Mohan, what is the total number of boys in the row?
97. What is the least number which when divided by 4, 5, 6 and 8 leaves a remainder 3 but when divided by 9 leaves no remainder?
98. Which number should be subtracted from 24, 31, 58 and 79 so that the ratio of the remainders of the first two numbers is proportion to the ratio of the remainders of the other two numbers?
(d) None of the above
99. Consider the following statements.
I: All girls are mothers,
II: Some mothers are above 20 years of age.
On the basis of the above two statements, find out which one of the following conclusions is correct logically?
(a) All girls are above 20 years of age.
(b) Some girls are above 20 years of age.
(c) All mothers are girls.
(d) None of the above.
100. P, Q, R, S and T are sitting in a row. Q is between P and T. To find out who among them is in the middle, which of the following information (I and II) is /are sufficient?
I : P is on the left of Q and right of S.
II: R is at the right end.
(a) only I
(b) only II
(c) either I or II
(d) both I and II
101. A father is presently three times as old as his son. Five years back, he was four times as old as his son. What is the present age of the son?
(b) 18 years
(c) 15 years
(d) 12 years
102. In the following figure the triangle represents men, the rectangle represents employed ones and the circle represents doctors. Which is the area of the figure that represents men doctors who are not employed?
103. Which one of the following numbers is like the given number 253,275,385?
104. What will be the compound interest on ` 4,000.00 for 2 years at the rate of 5% Per annum ?
(a) ` 410
(b) ` 420
(c) ` 421
(d) ` 427
105. The sum and product of two numbers is 11 and 18 respectively. What will be the sum of their reciprocals ?
(a) x is greater than y
(b) x is equal to y
(c) x is less than y
(d) None of the above
107. In the following figure:
I. Employed in public sector
II. Employed in private other than corporate sector
III. Employed in corporate sector
IV. Self employed
What is the percentage of the self employed among the employed persons ?
108. If the straight lines x + ay = 1 and bx - y = z intersect at the point (1, 1), what will be the values of a and b?
(a) 0 and 3
(b) 0 and 3
(c) 0 and 1
(d). 1 and 3
109. What is the number, one third of which is greater than one fifth of the succeeding number by one ?
110. What is missing number in the series 1, 5, 11, 19, 29, -, 55
111. What is the missing number in the series 21, 32, 45, 60,---, 96,117?
112. What is the value of
116. A 6 cm Cube is cut into 1 cm cubes. What will be the total surface area of the small cubes ?
118. If in a class of 30 students, 60% are boys, 40% have a first class degree and 50% boys have first class degree, what will be the number of girls having first class degree?
119. If the sides of a right angle triangle are a, a + b and a+2b, (a, b > 0), what will be the value of a:b ?
120. If PLAY is coded as 8123 and RHYME is coded as 49367 how would MALE be coded ?
121. In India, which one among the following formulates .the fiscal policy ?
(a) Planning Commission
(b) Finance Commission
(c) Ministry Commission
(d) Reserve Bank of India
122. Who among the following has authored the book" Indian Economy :
A Gandhian Blue Print” ?
(a) AachaFya Vinoba Bhave
(b) Morarji Desai
(c) Jai Prakash Narayan
(d) Charan Singh
123. Indian has signed a Free Trade in Goods Agreement (2011) with
(d) None of the above
124. Who, among the following had propounded the concept of ‘Trusteeship’ ?
(b) Aurobindo Ghosh •
(c) Mahatma Gandhi
(d) G.K. Gokhale
125. What has been the approximate share of renewable energy out of the total generation capacity in the energy sector of India as on Dec. 2011 ?
126. Which one of the following is the period of the 12th Five Year Plan?
127. Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan Yojana is associated with
(a) Development of villages
(b) Community toilets in slum areas.
(c) Construction of house for low income groups.
(d) None of the above.
128. Where has the Indian Diamond Institute (IDI) been established ?
(a) New Delhi
129. As per the provisional figures of Census 2011, the literacy rate in India is
130. According to the provisional figures of 2011 Census, the decadal growth rate of population during 2001-2011 in India has been
131. According to the provisional figures of Census 2011, what percentage of population is below the age of 35 years in India ?
132. The share of Uttar Pradesh in India’s, total food grains production during 2009-2012 has been nearly.
133. Which one among the following is not a cash crop?
134. Which of the following banks operates mainly in relation to small industries ?
135. According to the provisional figures of Census 2011 of India, the density of population is the highest in which of the following cities of U.P.?
(a) Kanpur Nagar
136. "Sankalp" project is associated with the eradication of:
137. Industrial Finance Corporation of India works as:
(a) a commercial bank
(b) a development bank
(c) an industrial bank
(d) none of the above
138. In which of the following financial years the devaluation of rupee in India took place twice ?
139. Since April 2011 the SBI’s Chairman has been
(a) Pratip Chaudhuri
(b) D. Subba Rao
(c) Amiya Bagachi
(d) Rao Birendra Singh
140. Fill in the blank with correct choice :
The recorded forest area of U.P. in 2011 was around……of its total area.
141. Which one of the following constitutes the single large export item from India ?
(a) Gems and Jewellery
(b) Readymade garments
(c) Leather and food wear
142. The World Population Day commemorates the day on which the estimated world population become five billion. That day was .
(a) 11 July. 1987
(b) 11 Sept, 1 987
(c) 11 Nov, 1994
(d) 11 July, 1997
143. As on March 2012, the number of Urban Co-operative Banks in India was :
144. The percentage of rural branches of all kinds of private, public sector commercial banks including Regional Rural Banks as on 30/06/2012, according to R.B.I, was approximately
145. The Energy Conservation Act became effective in :
146. Which if the following States has the largest no. of approved as well as operational Special Economic Zones as on June 2012 ?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(b) Andhra Pradesh
(c) Tamil Nadu
147. Which of the following groups of good is not included in FMCG(Fast Moving Consumer Foods) ?
(a) Automobile (Cart and Motor Cycle)
(b) Toileieries (Shampoo and Cheese)
(c) Dairy Products (Milk and Cheese)
(d) Bakeiy Product (Biscuits and Breads)
148. Bhakra-Nangal is a joint project of
(a) Haryana-Punjab and Rajasthan
(b) Haryana-Punjab and Delhi
(c) Himachal Pradesh- Haryana and Punjab
(d) Punjab -Delhi and Rajasthan
149. Who is the author of the book "Wealth o Nations"?
(a) Adam Smith
(b) David Ricardo
(c) J.M. Keynes
150. The National Income of India is estimated by :
(a) National Sample Survey Organization
(b) Ministry of Finance
(c) Reserve Bank of India
(d) Central Statistical Organization