Marketing Officer: What and Why?
Banking Sector has become too competitive in the recent years and everybody has to advertise its products properly in order to get market share. Marketing Officers are very important to devise strategies for effective marketing of bank products so that the Unique Selling Point (USP) are properly highlighted and it gets an edge over others’ products in the market.
Recruitment of Marketing Officers
IBPS Specialist Officer is the common written examination to recruit marketing officers in public sector banks whereas SBI conducts its own recruitment examination for the purpose. One needs to have an MBA in Marketing to be eligible for the post whereas SBI asks for experience for the role
Decoding Marketing Officer Profile: Jobs and Responsibilities
Marketing Officers do exactly what the marketing team does in any Multinational Company. Let’s take a look at the jobs and responsibilities of these officers at banks.
- Managing Marketing Campaigns: Marketing Officers will be the part of a team which will be in charge of selling a product in the market by comparing it with the products of the competitors. The team leader will be responsible for devising strategies for the same and executing them as well.
- Creating Awareness of Products Among Staff: The staff of the bank can play the most effective role in marketing the products. Hence, the marketing officers have to organise workshops, training programs to aware the staff of various new products of the bank.
- Managing Social Media: This is an age of social media and every bank is vying for the larger share in the same. It is the duty of the marketing officers to ensure that the concerned bank is advertised properly and effectively in the social media platforms.
- Promoting Products of Bank: This is the sole responsibility of the marketing officer because he or she has to ensure that the special feature of a product is properly apprised of in front of the customers so that the products are sold as much as possible.
- Preparing Materials for Marketing of Products: Marketing Department of a bank is also responsible for designing attractive material for marketing products so that the product features are highlighted in a reader-friendly way.
- Coordinating with Ad Agency: The marketing department needs to decide the media where the ads will be displayed and then coordinate with them accordingly so that the products are properly advertised.
The job of a marketing officer in a bank is same as that in a private sector company and there are targets for the officers as well. However, people with a flair for marketing will find it challenging. The postings are always in metro or urban area and the promotional aspects are similar to that of other specialist cadre officers i.e. not as good as PO.