The bank employees are given a certain number of holidays and leave every year, to remove monotonous in work and allow them to maintain a swift balance between their personal and professional lives. The casual leave, privilege leave, maternity leave, medical leave etc. are some of the leaves employees are given in every organization.
Many employees, while working in their respective banks, opt for further studies. Many want to sit for competitive examinations like UPSC and SSC. In order to attempt these examinations, candidates need proper preparation and that requires adequate time.
There is no direct provision of study leave for the ground level employees in even the largest commercial bank in India ;State Bank of India. A study leave of up to two years though could be sanctioned for workmen employees in SBI who are in the officer grade. One other avenue to acquire study leave is to apply for extraordinary leave, under which the candidates are allowed to take a leave of upto maximum 720 days. Women candidates can acquire sabbatical leave for raising and taking care of the education of their children for upto 2 years and use the time for preparing for the examinations they are eying for.
Study leaves option for SBI employees
- Apart from Casual leave, the employees in SBI have to apply in writing for any other leave to the Branch Manager or any other officer who is authorized for the post. The employees need to mention the specific reason for the leave and the nature of it in their written application. The application must be submitted one month prior to the commencement of the leave date mentioned in the application.
- For continuing their studies without break, the candidates can even extend their leaves. They would need to write an application addressing the Branch Manager for the extension in their leave. Only after the order passed by the Branch Manager, the employee could access the extension in their leave.
- For studying the employees can use their privilege leave as well, which is provided for a maximum period of 240 days. For every 11 working days, the employees earn a privilege leave, and they can save and use it at a stretch in any financial year for the purpose of preparing.
- The candidates can use the sick leave, which is provided 30 days for each completed year and maximum of 18 months during their entire service, for the purpose of preparing for their study. They should take this risk, only if they are sure that they could get along with the competitive examination and would be able to switch sectors.
- On probation period, it is impossible to obtain study leave through any of the possible leave combinations provided to the candidates.
- The most potent leave option left for the candidates to pursue their higher studies or appear in any competitive examination is the extra ordinary leaves. The duration of extra ordinary leaves shall not exceed 90 days on any one occasion and 360 days during the entire period of their service. It is generally granted to the employees when no ordinary leave is due to him/her. The extraordinary leave is provided on loss of pay to the SBI bank employees.
- During the sabbatical leave for women candidates, they can use the time for preparing for the examination and study for various examinations.
- The study leave of upto 2 years is provided to the officers in SBI.
It becomes really tough for the regular SBI employees to manage further studies after duty hours. Where the duty hours are limited for lower posts of clerical cadres, there is no time fixed time frame for the Probationary officers and manager level posts in the bank. They need to spend most of their days’ time working in their office, making it almost impossible for them to study further. Hence, the candidates, who are willing to shift their job sector, need to take leave for their study purposes and make necessary arrangements accordingly. The employees in SBI need to calculate their available leave on credit and make adjustments in order to be able to find time for their studies.