The Union Minister of State (Independent charge) for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Statistics & Programme Implementation Srikant Kumar Jena presented 3rd National Awards for Technology Innovation in Petrochemical and Downstream, Plastic Processing Industry in New Delhi on 7 May 2013.
The awards were given away to winners for their outstanding contribution in the fields of Polymeric Material, Polymeric Products, Polymer Processing Machinery & Equipment, Polymer Waste Management & Recycling Technology, Polymeric Materials & Products, Polymers in Agriculture and Water Conservation, Green Polymers in Public Health care and Research in the field of Polymer Science & Technology. The awards were aimed at recognizing the innovations in niche areas of petrochemicals and plastics processing.
The award included a shield, a citation as well as cash prize of 2 lakh Rupees. The runners-up received a shield and a citation.
National Policy on Petrochemicals and Introduction of the Awards
The National Policy on Petrochemicals was approved in April 2007 by the Government of India. The aim of the policy was increasing investment, competitiveness, and Research & Development efforts in thrust areas of polymeric materials.
The award scheme was introduced by the Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals (DCPC), Government of India to incentivize meritorious innovations and inventions in various fields of Polymer Science and Technology, by Individual/Team, Industry, Academic and R&D Institutions.
The aim of these awards is development of petrochemical industry as a globally competitive industry. The implementation of scheme of National Award for Technology Innovation in Petrochemicals & Downstream Plastic Processing Industry is entrusted with the Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology (CIPET), an autonomous institute under DCPC.
About the 3rd National Awards
In 3rd National Awards, 306 nominations were received which were scrutinized and evaluated by a committee of experts consisting of academicians, members from the Industry, experts from R&D institutions.
Out of these, 11 nominations were selected as the winners, 8 nominations were chosen as the runners-up and 6 were recommended for Commendation Certificate for Technology Innovation in Petrochemicals and Downstream Plastic Processing Industries in the third year of its operation in 2012-13.
List of the winners
• Gharda Chemicals Ltd., for An Economical Process to Manufacture ABPBI (2.5 Polybenzimidazole) parts in the Industry category of Innovation in Polymeric Materials.
• Anindya Deb, Centre for Product Design And Manufacturing, Indian Institute of Science for Nanoclay -Polypropylene Based Enhanced Automotive Upper Interior Head Impact Safety Protection in the Individual / Team category of Innovation in Polymeric Products.
• Shriji Polymers (India) Pvt. Ltd., for their innovation of Child Resistant Cap in the Industry category of Innovation in Polymeric Products.
• M. J. Giridharan, C. G. Enterprises, for Multiport HDPE Saddle Welding Machine in the Individual / Team category of Innovation of Polymer Processing Machinery & Equipments.
• CSIR- Indian Institute of Petroleum for Technology to Convert Waste Plastics (Polyolefins) to Automotive Grade Fuel and Petrochemicals in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Innovation In Polymer Waste Management & Recycling Technology.
• Team comprising Dr. S.T. Mhaske, Vilas S. Karande & Niranjan R. Savadekar from Institute of Chemical Technology for their innovation Synthesis of Nanocellulose (Nanowhiskers and Nanofibers) and its Applications in Biopolymers to Enhance their Performance Properties in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Innovation In Green Polymeric Materials & Products.
• Reliance Industries Ltd. for Polymeric Packaging for Extending Shelf Life of Agriculture, Floriculture and Horticulture Produce in the Industry category of Polymers In Agriculture And Water Conservation.
• Team comprising Mr. Jandas P. J., Dr. Smita Mohanty & Prof. S. K. Nayak from Laboratory for Advanced Research in Polymeric Materials (LARPM)-CIPET for their innovation – Polyimide Based Piezoelectric-Induced Pressure Pulse (PIPP) Films for MEMS Applications in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Innovation in Polymeric Materials.
• Mohana Orthotics and Prosthetics Center for Plastics in the field of Physically Handicapped in the Industry category of Polymers in Public Health Care.
• Niranjan Karak, Tezpur University for Biodegradable Tough Transparent Novel Hyperbranched Polyurethanes from Vegetable Oils in the Individual / Team category of Research in the Field of Polymer Science & Technology.
• Prof. Mangala Joshi from Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi and Dr. Amitava Bhattacharyya, PSG Institute of Advanced Studies for Polyurethane / Nanographite based Multifunctional Coatings for Defense Applications in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Research in the Field of Polymer Science & Technology.
List of the Runners - Up
• Dr. S Anitha & Dr. T. S. Natarajan from Indian Institute of Technology – Madras for Development of Electrospun Nanocomposite Smart Material in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Innovation In Polymeric Materials.
• Sachin Joshi, Mohit Mehta & Sarojini Swain of Crompton Greaves Limited for the innovation of Mild Steel Based Storage Water Heater Tank, Inside Coated with Specially Developed Nano Based Liquid Polymer Applied by 2 Axis Synchronized Robotic Painting System in the Industry category of Innovation in Polymeric Products.
• Manoharmayum Manihar Sharma for the innovation of Solar Multi Silk and Mugha Reeling cum Spinning Machine in the Individual / Team category of Innovation Of Polymer Processing Machinery & Equipments.
• CSIR-Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute for On-line Sorting of Consumer Plastic Groups through Near Infrared Spectroscopy in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Innovation In Polymer Waste Management & Recycling Technology.
• Sridevi Avancha, Ajaya Kumar Behera, Ramkrishna Sen & Dr. Basudam Adhikari of IIT-Kharagpur for the innovation of Biodegradable and Eco-friendly Jute Soy Composite and Sapling pot in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Innovation In Green Polymeric Materials & Products.
• Godavari Polymers Pvt. Ltd. for Break through Techniques in Drip in Line Lateral Design in the Industry category of Polymers in Agriculture and Water Conservation.
• Dr. K. P. Chellamani, D. Veerasubramanian & R. S. Vignesh Balaji from The South India Textile Research Association for the innovation of Barbed Bi-directional Surgical Sutures in the Industry category of Polymers In Public Health Care.
• Prof. Pralay Maiti, Prof. Nira Misra & Mr. Govinda Kapusetti from IIT (BHU) for the innovation of Polymer Based Nanobiocomposites for Faster Bone Healing in the Academics and R&D Institution category of Research In The Field Of Polymer Science & Technology.