Sridevi, a Bollywood actress who charmed audiences with her larger-than-life performances like Hawa Hawai and Chandni, died on February 24, 2018 in Dubai following a cardiac arrest. She was 54. She is survived by her husband Boney Kapoor and two daughters, Jhanvi and Khushi.
Sridevi was in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to attend a family wedding. Her sudden and untimely death has trembled the entire nation and has saddened millions of fans.
Sridevi is considered as the Bollywood’s first female superstar who gave several box-office hits with no man beside her in a leading role.
Initial years of her career
• Sridevi's real name was Shree Amma Yanger Ayappan.
• She made her acting debut at the age of 4, with Tamil movie 'Thunaivan'.
• At the age of 13, she acted besides Rajinikanth in a role of his stepmother in the movie 'Moondru Mudichu'.
• 'Julie' was her first Indian film, but 'Solva Sawan' marked her debut as the Lead Actress.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Sridevi's career at a glance
• Sridevi worked on Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada language films in South India before moving onto the Hindi language films.
• Over five decades of her career, Sridevi starred in more than 300 films, including Bollywood classics such as 'Mr India', 'Chandni', 'ChaalBaaz', 'Lamhe', 'Sadma', etc.
• She shared the screen with some of Indian cinema's most iconic leading men such as Amitabh Bachchan, Rajinikanth, Kamal Hasan, Shahrukh Khan, Anil Kapoor, Jeetendra,
and several others.
• After marrying the film producer Boney Kapoor in 1996, she retired from acting for 15 years but returned with 'English Vinglish' in 2012.
• Her final film 'Mom', in which she played a role of mother seeking to avenge the rape of her stepdaughter, was released in the year 2017.
• Sridevi was awarded with the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honour, in 2013.