Andaman & Nicobar Command of Indian Navy will host the multinational mega event MILAN 2018 in the second week of March 2018.
MILAN provides an excellent opportunity to the participating navies to foster co-operation through naval exercises and professional interactions and to nurture stronger ties.
• MILAN 2018 will be held at Port Blair from March 6 to March 13, 2018.
• The theme of MILAN 2018 will be 'Friendship Across the Seas'.
• It will witness a diverse mix of professional exercises and seminars, social events and sporting fixtures.
• The interactions during MILAN encompass sharing of views and ideas on maritime good - order and enhancing regional cooperation for combating unlawful activities at sea.
• The social interactions planned during MILAN 2018 include display by bands of the Indian Navy and Indian Army, ship visits and colorful cultural evenings.
• Several events of MILAN 2018 will be open to the public including displays by sky diving team, beating the retreat and Naval continuity drill.
• An International City Parade will be held along the Marina Park Road.
• Besides, visiting foreign ships will also be open for visits by school children and local public.
• MILAN 2018 will culminate with Passage Exercise at sea by all participating naval ships.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
MILAN 2018 International Maritime Seminar
The theme of 2018 MILAN International Maritime Seminar is ‘In Pursuit of Maritime Good Order - Need for Comprehensive Information Sharing Apparatus’.
The inaugural address will be delivered by Admiral Sunil Lanba, PVSM, AVSM, ADC, Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) and Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS), besides presentations by eminent speakers.
• MILAN was first held in the year 1995. The first edition saw participation of four littoral navies. Littoral means area of the sea that is close to the shore.
• The event witnessed growing participation of navies over the years. From an event of sub-regional context, MILAN has now grown into a prestigious international event.
• It now experiences participation by maritime forces from not just the Bay of Bengal and South East Asia but the larger Indian Ocean Region (lOR).