Cabinet approves JDI between Germany and India on alternative medicine
The Union Cabinet has approved the joint declaration of intent between Germany and India regarding cooperation in the field of alternative medicine.
The Union Cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) between Germany and India regarding cooperation in the field of alternative medicine on 24 May 2017.
The move aims to enhance bilateral cooperation between the two nations in the areas of traditional and alternative medicine. The collaborative research, training and scientific capacity building undertaken by the nations under the declaration would contribute to increased employment opportunities in the AYUSH sector.
All the necessary funds required to conduct the research, training courses, conferences and meetings would be provided from the budget allocated to the Ministry of AYUSH and its existing plan schemes. Besides this, no additional financial implications would be involved.
• India has a well-developed system of traditional medicine that holds tremendous potential in the global health scenario.
• Germany also has an advanced herbal and natural medicine industry with continuous high level scientific research concentrated on traditional medicines.
• The Ministry of AYUSH as a part of its mandate to propagate Indian systems of Medicine globally has taken effective steps by signing memorandum of understanding with several nations including Nepal, Bangladesh, China, Malaysia, Myanmar, Mauritius, Hungary, Mongolia and Trinidad & Tobago.
• In October 2016, a delegation led by Shripad Yesso Naik, Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of AYUSH had visited Germany to participate in the 2nd European World Ayurveda Congress (EWAC) and to interact with the German authorities.
• During the visit a bilateral meeting was held between Naik and the Parliamentary State Secretary Ingrid Fischbach, in which both the sides unanimously agreed to begin the process of drafting and negotiating a joint declaration between the two nations in the field of AYUSH and Natural medicine.
• The joint declaration is not only expected to boost India-Germany ties but it is also expected to enhance the existing cooperation between the two countries.