The third version of the Government e-Marketplace, GEM 3.0, envisaged by the Union Government as the National Procurement Portal of India has been launched.
The GeM 2.0 was launched as a pilot project in August 2016 and its success led to the conceptualisation of GeM 3.0. The portal strives to keep pace with the ever-evolving technological challenges and stake holder aspirations.
It would offer standardised and enriched catalogue management, powerful search engine, real-time price comparison, template-based Bid and RA creation, online vendor assessment, multi-cart functionality, demand aggregation, e-EMD, e-PBG, user rating, advanced MIS and analytics.
Some key enhancements in GeM 3.0 version include:
• Market- based generic requirements across all government agencies.
• Standardisation of specifications of both products and services enabling empirical price comparability.
• Completely transparent transactions across all ranges.
• Generic standards established through universal service levels and cost comparison enabled.
• Open and dynamic market place with a rating based on the performance of user on the website.
Besides this, the Government e Marketplace also announced the launch of National Sellers On-boarding Campaign.
About National Sellers On-boarding Campaign
• The National Sellers On-boarding Campaign has been launched to train sellers/ service providers for the transition from GeM 2.0 to GeM 3.0.
• All the 20 state capitals on board with this initiative will be trained by GeM MSP trainers along with Business Groups – CII, ASSOCHAM and PHDCII.
• Senior Officers from GeM will visit these states to facilitate the transition.
• More than 200 people were trained and supported in registering during the walk-in training cum registration organised on January 27 and 28 at GeM Office in Delhi.
About Government e-Marketplace (GeM)
• The Union Government decided to create a one stop Government e-Marketplace (GeM), on the basis of recommendations made by Group of Secretaries to the Prime Minister, to facilitate online procurement of common use goods & services required by various government departments/organizations and PSUs.
• The portal aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement.
• It provides the tools of e-bidding, reverse e-auction and demand aggregation to facilitate the government users to achieve the best value for their money.
Overall, the initiative will boost the growth of MSME’s, manufacturers and service providers.