Current Affairs in Short: 24 January 2020
Team India has successfully completed its biggest run chase overseas by achieving a target of 204 against New Zealand in the first T20I in Auckland.
North Korea appoints former Army officer as new Foreign Minister
• North Korea has appointed former military officer Ri Son Gwon as the new foreign minister of the country. Korean Central News Agency disclosed the news on January 23, 2020.
• It was mentioned in the report that Ri Son had participated in a reception for foreign diplomats in Pyongyang.
• He has served as the chairman of the government body responsible for relations with South Korea. In the past 15 years, he has participated in inter-Korean military talks several times.
India's first e-waste clinic opens in Bhopal
• The first e-waste clinic of the country has been recently opened in Bhopal. This clinic will segregate and process e-waste from household and commercial units.
• The clinic will process all types of e-Waste materials like computers, mobile, chargers, etc. The clinic will run a campaign ‘junk to jugaad’ for those e-waste materials which will not be possible to process.
• The e-waste clinic has been prepared in a junk low floor bus. Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC) are providing technical support to this clinic.
India, Bangladesh signed agreement to upgrade a road into 4-lane highway
• India and Bangladesh have signed an agreement to upgrade Ashuganj-Akhaura road (50.58-kilometer) into a four-lane highway.
• A stretch of 39 kilometers between Ashuganj river port to Dharhar area will be developed by Indian Company, Afcons Infrastructure Limited and Roads and Highways Department (RHD) of Bangladesh.
• This road up-gradation project is a part of two billion second line credit extended by India to Bangladesh. Apart from that, 46 other projects have been identified in Bangladesh that would improve connectivity within and outside of Bangladesh.
International day of education 2020 observed
• International Education Day is observed every year on January 24. The United Nations passed a resolution on December 3, 2018, and decided to declare January 24 as International Education Day.
• Its purpose is to underline the role of education in peace and development. The proposal for International Education Day was prepared by 58 countries including Nigeria.
• In India, National Education Day is observed on November 11 every year. It is the second year of the International Day of Education.
India successfully chased the biggest T20 target abroad
• Team India has completed its biggest run chase overseas by achieving a target of 204 against New Zealand in the first T20I in Auckland on January 24, 2020.
• India completed its last biggest run chase abroad on July 8, 2018, by achieving the target of 199 runs given by England in Bristol.
• In this match, Shreyas Iyer (58) and KL Rahul (56) smashed rapid 50s whit captain Virat Kohli scored 45 runs.