Government rejects opposition claim of forceful detention and delisting of voters in Assam
• The government on July 25, 2018 out rightly rejected the opposition claim of forceful detention and delisting of voters in Assam.
• Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju termed the allegation as a lie while responding to a zero hour mention by Sanjay Singh of the Congress in the Rajya Sabha.
• The member said that the Assam government’s action with regard to the National Register of Citizens was leading to suicide in the border state.
• Singh also accused the state government of discrimination based on regional identities.
• Responding to this, Rijiju said that the entire activity is being carried out as per the directions of the Supreme Court.
Mars to make closest approach to Earth in 15 years
• The red planet, Mars will make the closest approach to Earth in the last fifteen years on July 31, 2018. On that day, the two planets will be just 57.6 million kilometres apart.
• Before that, the red planet will be in opposition on July 26 when there will be a total lunar eclipse. That means Mars and the sun will be on exact opposite sides of Earth.
• However, a massive dust storm presently engulfing Mars is obscuring surface details normally visible through telescopes.
• The Martian atmosphere is so full of dust that NASA's Opportunity rover can't recharge its solar panels and so it's been silent since June.
CAIT organises 3-day National Conclave in New Delhi
• The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) is organising a three-day National Conclave in New Delhi to address various grievances of the trading community and focus on effective solutions.
• On the second day of the conclave, a speaker of CAIT informed that among the rising problems in trades in recent times, FDI in both multi and single-brand retail and merger of Walmart and Flipkart are posing huge challenges on Indian Market.
• During the event, the strategy to protect local business from the emerging International influence in retail was also discussed.
• Hundreds of traders from across the country are participating in the event.
NCPCR team visits Mother Teresa's charity home in Ranchi
• A National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) team on July 24, 2018 visited Nirmal Hriday, the shelter home run by Mother Teresa-founded Missionaries of Charity, after four babies who were allegedly sold from there were rescued.
• Rupa Verma, the chairperson of Ranchi Child Welfare Committee, informed that the members of NCPCR said they are probing all shelter homes in the country following the scam to find centres not following rules.
• Sister Konsalia, a nun of Nirmal Hriday, was arrested and during interrogation, she confessed to selling three children for money and giving away the fourth child. Another staffer of Nirmal Hriday, Anima Indwar was also arrested in connection with the case.
Trump urges EU to lower auto tariffs
• US President Donald Trump has suggested that the United States and the European Union drop all their tariffs on each other's goods.
• Trump made the suggestion in a tweet ahead of his meeting with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker scheduled to be held in Washington on July 25, 2018.
• Trump said that when both the US and the EU drop all Tariffs, barriers, and Subsidies, it would finally be called free market and fair trade.
• US administration is considering raising tariffs on imported cars and auto parts as part of its efforts to reduce US trade deficits. It said the EU's 10 per cent levy on cars is unfairly high compared to the US's 2.5 per cent.
• The EU said it is prepared to respond if the US goes ahead with the extra auto levies, but does not want to worsen relations with the world's biggest importer of European cars.
Assam government to set up separate directorate for Divyangs
• The Assam government has decided to set up a separate directorate for the Divyangs.
• The information was shared by the state’s Social Welfare minister Pramila Rani Brahma, who said that several steps are being taken for the welfare of the Divyangs.
• Brahma said that appointment to Divyangs will be given at around 4500 posts by December 2018.
• The minister said that the Social Welfare Department will also give Rs 1000 per month to all Divyangs as a stipend.
Dhoni highest income tax payer in Jharkhand
• Cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni has become the highest individual taxpayer in Jharkhand for the 2017-18 fiscal.
• Dhoni, the Indian wicket-keeper batsman paid Rs 12.17 crore income tax in 2017-18, as per Income Tax officials.
• They said that Dhoni had paid Rs 10.93 crore tax in 2016-17, but he was not the highest tax payer for that year.
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports