Emmerson Mnangagwa wins Presidential elections in Zimbabwe
• Zimbabwe President Emmerson Mnangagwa, a former ally of ousted President Robert Mugabe, won country's landmark Presidential elections.
• With all 10 provinces declared, Mnangagwa won 50.8 percent of votes and defeated opposition leader Nelson Chamisa of MDC party who gained 44.3 percent.
• Zimbabwe Electoral Commission declared ZANU-PF party's Mnangagwa, a duly declared elected president.
• Meanwhile the opposition has rejected the results.
141st birth anniversary of designer of Indian National Flag Pingali Venkayya observed
• 141st birth anniversary of freedom fighter and designer of Indian National Flag Pingali Venkayya was observed on August 2, 2018.
• He was born on August 2, 1876 in Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh and died in 1963.
• He was firm believer in Gandhian principles and ardent nationalist.
• At young age, he had served as soldier in British India Army in South Africa during Anglo Boer war in Africa.
• He even went on to study Sanskrit, Urdu and Japanese Anglo Vedic School in Lahore.
• Such credentials also had given him interesting titles like ‘Japan Venkayya’, ‘Patti (cotton) Venkayya’ and ‘Jhanda Venkayya’.
Kadaknath chicken meat of Madhya Pradesh gets GI tag
• Kadaknath chicken meat from Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh has received Geographical Indication (GI) tag from Chennai based Geographical Indication Registry and Intellectual Property India.
• GI tag denotes that product comes from particular geographical.
• Kadaknath chicken was awarded GI tag in “Meat Product, Poultry & Poultry Meat” category.
• GI tag will ensure that no one else can use name Kadaknath Chicken while selling any other black chicken.
• Kadaknath or Kali Masi is unique breed of chicken that is complete black in colour.
Andhra Pradesh approves Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam Scheme
• Andhra Pradesh Government approved Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam, an unemployment allowance scheme to provide Rs 1000 per month to unemployed youth in state.
• The allowance will be directly credited in bank accounts of selected beneficiaries through biometric authentication in transparent manner.
• It will not be applicable to those paying provident fund.
• The scheme will benefit 12 lakh youth in the 22-35 years age group from state.
• Registration for enrolling into scheme will start from either third or fourth week of August 2018.
Ujjwala Yojana achieves its target of providing 5 crore free LPG connections to poor families
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi's pet project Ujjwala Yojana achieved its target of providing 5 crore free LPG connections to poor families.
• Ujjwala aims at bringing clean cooking fuel to poor households, identified according to the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC).
• More than 44 percent of Ujjwala beneficiaries are currently from SC/ST communities.
• The scheme was launched by the Prime Minister on May 1, 2016, in Ballia district of Uttar Pradesh with a target to provide free LPG connections to five crore poor households by March 31, 2019, with a budgetary allocation of 8000 crore rupees.
• The government achieved this target nearly eight months ahead of schedule.
First-ever dragonfly festival in Delhi
• The dragonfly festival is being organised from August 3 to September 1, 2018 at World Wide Fund (WWF) auditorium, New Delhi.
• The aim is to spread awareness about the role of Dragonflies in maintaining a healthy ecosystem.
• Festival includes special events like ‘Be a scientist for a day’, ‘Date with a dragonfly’, etc. by WWF India and Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS).
Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra top Energy Efficiency Index
• Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Maharashtra, Punjab and Rajasthan have emerged as the ‘front-runner’ states as per the State Energy Efficiency Index.
• The Index is prepared by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
• The Index categorises states as ‘Frontrunner’, ‘Achiever’, Contender’ and ‘Aspirant’.
• The index examines states’ policies and regulations, financing mechanisms and institutional capacity.
LS passes Commercial Courts Bill, 2018
• The Lok Sabha recently passed the Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
• It will designate some courts as commercial courts for speedy disposal of commercial disputes.
• It will reduce the pecuniary jurisdiction of these courts from Rs 1 crore to Rs. 3 lakh.
• The bill is aimed at improving the ease of doing business in India.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week