DRDO scientist Dr G Satheesh Reddy in the first week of September 2015 was conferred with the Silver Medal of the prestigious Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS). DRDO stands for Defence Research and Development Organisation.
Dr Reddy was conferred with this medal in recognition of his contributions as one of the leading navigation and avionics experts of the Indian Defense research establishment.
The award will be formally presented to him at the Wilbur and Orville Wright Lecture to be held on 9 December 2015 in the Society's headquarters in London.
About Dr G Sateesh Reddy
• He joined DRDO in 1985 after graduating from JNTU Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh.
• At present, he is the Director, Research Centre Imarat (RCI) and Programme Director, medium-range surface-to-air missile (MRSAM) system since May 2013. Also he is the Scientific Adviser to Raksha Mantri.
• As Director RCI, he led the development of Avionics technologies in critical areas of Inertial Systems, Embedded Computers, Control, Real Time Software and Simulation for various Defence programmes - Agni A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, Prithvi, Dhanush, Astra, Akash, B-05, K-4, BrahMos, Nirbhay, Helina, Nag, MRSAM, etc.
• Under his leadership India has developed state-of-the-art avionics sensors and systems for key national strategic programmes and other defence applications.
About Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS)
• It is a British-founded multidisciplinary professional institution dedicated to the global aerospace community. It is headquartered in London.
• It was established in 1866 and is the oldest aeronautical society in the world.
• It has been honouring outstanding achievers in the global aerospace industry since 1909, when Wilbur and Orville Wright came to London to receive the Society’s first Gold Medal.
• It awards a number of medals and prizes include its Gold, Silver and Bronze medals in the individual and team category.
• The very first gold medal was awarded in 1909 to the Wright Brothers.
• Since 2004, the society started awarding team medals for exceptional or groundbreaking team work in aeronautical research and development.
• Besides the above awards, the society also confers R P Alston Memorial Prize for developments in flight-testing, the Edward Busk prize for applied aerodynamics, the Wakefield Medal for advances in aviation safety and an Orville Wright Prize.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Dr G Satheesh Reddy