Former Chief Justice of Karnataka and Kerala High Courts Justice V S Malimath died on 22 December 2015 at Manipal hospital in Bengaluru.
He was 86-years old and survived by wife Prema Devi V Malimath, a son and four daughters.
About V S Malimath
• He was born on 12 June 12 1929, secured first rank in LL.B. and had a post Graduate Diploma in Public International Law from University of London in 1952.
• He commenced practicing in the High Court of Bombay in 1952 and later shifted to Bengaluru in late 1956.
• He was appointed as a Judge in the Karnataka High Court in March 1970. Subsequently, he was appointed as Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court in 1984.
• In 1985, he was later transferred to b
• Post retirement, he was appointed as Chairman of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT).
• He served as a member of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
• He headed the Committee on Reform of Criminal Justice System in India.
• He was the United Nations Representative to monitor human rights enforcement in Nigeria and Sri Lanka.
• He served as an International Observer to oversee the Referendum in Sri Lanka.
• In June 2015, he was appointed as the Chairman of the Karnataka Border Protection Force by the Karnataka government.
• In this capacity, his mandate was to provide legal counselling on the boundary dispute with Maharastra and issues and problems of the people living in boundary areas of Karnataka, particularly in north Karnataka.
• In recognition of his services, he was conferred with the National Citizen's Award by the President of India and Karnataka Rajyotsava Award by the Government of Karnataka.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App