Former Haitian President Leslie Manigat died at 83
Former Haitian president Leslie François Manigat died at the age of 83.
Former Haitian president Leslie Francois Manigat on 27 June 2014 died at the age of 83. He was elected as the President of Haiti in January 1988 but was overthrown by General Henri Namphy in June 1988.
He led the centre-left Assembly of Progressive National Democrats party (RNDP) that was founded in the late 1970s.
About Leslie Francois
• He was born in 1930 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
• He was an academic turned politician and was recognised for his intellect and personal integrity.
• He began his career at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the 1950s. He was imprisoned under the rule of Francois Duvalier in 1963 and after his release he went into exile to France, US and Venezuela. He returned to Haiti after the fall of Jean- Claude Duvalier in 1986.
• He was the first elected President of Haiti in 1988 and again after this was presidential candidate in 2006.
• He won The Haiti Grand Prize of literature 2004 at the Miami Book Fair International.