GC Murmu sworn in as J&K's first Lieutenant Governor, RK Mathur takes oath as Ladakh’s first LG
Girish Chandra Murmu and Radha Krishna Mathur have been sworn in as the first-ever Lieutenant Governors of J&K and Ladakh Union Territories respectively.
Girish Chandra Murmu and Radha Krishna Mathur were sworn in as the first Lieutenant Governors of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh Union Territories respectively on October 31, 2019.
Girish Chandra Murmu was administered the oath of the office by Jammu and Kashmir High Court Chief Justice Gita Mittal at a function at Raj Bhawan in Srinagar. Prior to that, RK Mathur was sworn in by Chief Justice Gita Mittal at a simple function held in Leh. The Chief Justice had first gone to Leh and then flown to Srinagar to conduct the oath-taking ceremony.
The two Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh came into existence from today, October 31. With this, the total number of states in India has gone down to 28 and the number of Union Territories has increased to 9.
RK Mathur takes oath as first Lt. Governor of Ladakh Union Territory:
G C Murmu takes oath as first Lt. Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Union Territory:
GC Murmu, RK Mathur appointed new LGs of J&K, Ladakh
Girish Chandra Murmu was appointed as the first Lieutenant Governor of the J&K Union Territory by the Union Government, while Radha Krishna Mathur was appointed as the first Lieutenant Governor of the Union Territory of Ladakh. The two new Governors replace Satya Pal Malik, who served as the 13th and last Governor of the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
Malik, who oversaw J&K during the transition phase from a state to two UTs, was transferred and appointed as the new Governor of Goa less than a week before the formal bifurcation of the state. Malik served as the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir for a term of 15 months, beginning August 23, 2018.
Radha Krishna Mathur
• Radha Krishna Mathur, a retired 1977-batch IAS officer from Tripura-cadre is the new Ladakh Governor.
• Radha Krishna Mathur had earlier retired as the Chief Information Commissioner in November 2018. He was appointed to the post in 2016.
• Previously, he had served as the Defence Secretary in the Union Ministry of Defence and as the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Secretary of India.
• He was also formerly the Development Commissioner and the Chief Enforcement Officer in the Union Ministry of Textiles, under the central government.
• Besides this, Mathur had also previously served in the Tripura state government as Principal Secretary of Finance, Principal Secretary of Agriculture and the Chief Secretary of Tripura.
Girish Chandra Murmu
• Girish Chandra Murmu, the new Governor of J&K UT, is a retired IAS officer from the 1985-batch Gujarat-cadre.
• He is currently serving as the Expenditure Secretary under the Union Ministry of Finance. His term will expire as October ends.
• Girish Chandra Murmu is known to be a trusted aide of PM Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah from the time when Modi helmed the state of Gujarat.
• Murmu had served as the Principal Secretary to Narendra Modi when he was the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
The state of Jammu and Kashmir was split into two Union Territories on August 5, 2019, after the Parliament approved the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill 2019.
The move followed the centre’s decision of revoking Article 370, thus, withdrawing J&K’s special status.