Government constituted GoM to consider Functional Autonomy of CBI
The Union Cabinet of India on 14 May 2013 approved constitution of a Group of Ministers (GoM) to consider autonomy of CBI
The Union Cabinet of India on 14 May 2013 approved constitution of a Group of Ministers (GoM) to consider the matter relating to an appropriate law being made to provide for the independence of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and its functional autonomy.
It has also been decided, with the approval of the Prime Minister that the composition of the GoM will be as under:
1. P Chidambaram, Minister of Finance;
2. Sushilkumar Shinde, Minister of Home Affairs;
3. Kapil Sibal, Minister of Communications and Information Technology and Minister of Law and Justice;
4. Salman Khurshid, Minister of External Affairs; and
5. V Narayanasamy, Minister of State in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions; and Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office.
The GoM will prepare the draft law and the draft affidavit to be filed in the Supreme Court in the context of the Writ Petition (Civil) No. 120 of 2012, within three weeks. The GoM will be serviced by the Department of Personnel and Training.