The prestigious Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore on 9 December 2015 bagged a US military contract for research and development on solar powered micro-grid.
It is one of the rare instances that an Indian scientific institute has been awarded a federal contract by the US military.
Highlights of the contract
• The federal contract worth 52900 US dollars was awarded by the US Pacific Air Forces, Yokota Air Base in Japan.
• The contract is awarded to develop solar powered micro-grid with battery and supercapacitor energy storage system.
About Indian Institute of Science
• Indian Institute of Science is a public university for scientific research and higher education located in Bengaluru.
• The institute was established by Jamsetji Tata in 1909.
• It acquired the status of a Deemed University in 1958.
• As per the criteria of Citations per Faculty in 2014 and 2015, the institute has been ranked at number 11 and 18 respectively worldwide.
• It was the first Indian institute to feature on Times Higher Education World University Rankings for engineering and technology in the year 2015-16 at 99th position.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: IISc Bangalore
When: 9 December 2015