India decided to re-nominate Dalveer Bhandari for another term as the Judge of the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
The nomination papers of Bhandari were filed on 19 June 2017 in New York.
The decision came after the Indian nominee, Neeru Chadha, won the election to one of the seven vacant seats to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea.
The signatures from all four members of India’s national group at the Permanent Court of Arbitration were acquired on 18 June 2017. As per ICJ statutes, the national group has to submit nominations to the ICJ.
The current members of the Indian national group are former Chief Justice H.L. Dattu, retired Supreme Court Judge Girish Thakorlal Nanavati, Attorney General Mukul Rohtagi and senior lawyer Harish Salve.
About Dalveer Bhandari
• Born on 1 October 1947, Dalveer Bhandari is an Indian member of the International Court of Justice.
• He obtained degrees in the humanities and law from Jodhpur University and practised in the Rajasthan High Court from 1968 to 1970.
• Later, he obtained a Masters of Law from Northwestern University School of Law.
• Following his return to India, he again took up a law practice in the Rajasthan High Court from 1973 to 1976.
• In 1991, he was elevated to the Delhi High Court in March 1991.
• As a judge in the Delhi High Court, he also chaired the Delhi High Court Legal Services Committee, the Advisory Board of Delhi State, and the Delhi chapter of the International Law Association for a number of years.
• On 25 July 2004, he was appointed as Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
• On 28 October 2005, he was elevated to the Supreme Court of India.
• He was nominated by the Government of India as its official candidate in January 2012. In the elections held on 27 April 2012, he secured 122 votes in the United Nations General Assembly against 58 for his rival, Florentino Feliciano, who was nominated by the Government of the Philippines.
• He swore in as a member of the International Court of Justice on 19 June 2012.
Who: Dalveer Bhandari
When: 19 June 2017
SEBI to relax listing norms for start-ups; renames ITP as ‘Innovators Growth Platform’
First International Conference on ‘Sustainable Water Management’ held in Mohali
UAE to double women’s representation in Federal National Council to 50 per cent
FAO Council approves India’s proposal to observe 2023 as International Year of Millets