President Pranab Mukherjee on 12 August 2014 conferred the Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards on Arun Jaitley, Dr Karan Singh and Sharad Yadav. The awards were given for their invaluable contribution in discharge of their parliamentary duties. The awards were given at Balyogi Auditorium in Parliament Library, New Delhi.
• BJP leader Arun Jaitley received the award for the year 2010
• Congress Veteran Karan Singh received the award for the year 2011
• JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav received the award for the year for 2012
President while conferring the awards asked all Parliamentarians to uphold the prestige and dignity of Parliament, as it’s a responsibility of every Parliamentarian.
About Outstanding Parliamentarian Award
The Outstanding Parliamentarian Award was instituted in 1992 by Shivraj Patil who was then the Speaker of Lok Sabha from 1991-96. The award is given by the Indian Parliamentary Group to an outstanding sitting Member of the Indian Parliament for overall contribution in Indian Parliament.
Previous important Parliamentarians to be awarded include
• Indrajit Gupta was honoured with the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in 1992
• Atal Bihari Vajpayee was honoured with the award in 1994
• Pranab Mukherjee r was honoured with the award in 1997
• Lal Krishna Advani was honoured with the award in 1999
• Manmohan Singh was honoured with the award in 2002
• Sushma Swaraj was honoured with the award in 2004
• P Chidambaram was honored with the award in 2005
• Murli Manohar Joshi was honoured with the award in 2009
When: 12 August 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.