Noted writer and filmmaker Madathil Thekkepaattu (MT) Vasudevan Nair on 23 September 2014 was selected for the JC Daniel Award for lifetime achievement for the year 2013. The award given by the Kerala government recognises the overall contribution of MT to the Malayalam film industry.
He will be presented with the award at a function on 17 October 2014 at Kanakakunnu Palace in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
He was selected for the award by a jury headed by noted writer and Malayalam University Vice-Chancellor K Jayakumar.
Madathil Thekkepaattu Vasudevan Nair
• MT Vasudevan Nair debuted as scriptwriter with the 1965 film Murappennu.
• His debut novel Naalukettu (The Legacy) won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award in 1958.
• MT Vasudevan Nair is the winner of the Jnanpith award in 1995 for his overall contribution to Malayalam literature.
• He also received Padma Bhushan award in 2005.
• He has directed seven films so far and written the screenplay for around 54 films.
• He also won the National Award for best screenplay four times in his career.
• His debut film as director Nirmalyam won the national award for best film in 1974.
J C Daniel Award
• The Department of Cultural Affairs under Government of Kerala instituted the award in honour of JC Daniel in 1992.
• Daniel was considered as the father of Malayalam cinema for producing, directing, writing, photographing, editing and acting in the Vigathakumaran in 1928. It was the first film made in Kerala.
• The award is a part of the Kerala State Film Awards and honours lifetime achievements and outstanding contributions to Malayalam cinema.
• The award comprises of a cash prize of 1 lakh rupees, statuette and a citation.
• The first J C Daniel Award in 1992 was presented to the producer T. E. Vasudevan.
Who: MT Vasudevan Nair
When: 23 September 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.