Mother Teresa was posthumously conferred with the UK's prestigious Founders Award 2016.The award is given to recognise and reward exemplary achievements of people within the global Asian community.
Teresa’s only living relative, her 72-year old niece, Agi Bojazhiu received the award on 8 April 2016.
Teresa, who will be made a saint on 4 September 2016, founded the Missionaries of Charity and spent 45 years serving needy people. She passed away at the age of 87 in Kolkata in 1997.
The Founders Awards recognise and reward exemplary achievement across 14 categories that include business, philanthropy, entertainment, culture and sport. It was launched in 2010 by Paul Sagoo, entrepreneur and founder of the Lemon group.
Recipients in other categories include
• Community Service award: Rami Ranger, a leading NRI entrepreneur and philanthropist who contributed 100000 pounds for the Mahatma Gandhi statue.
• Business Leader of the Year award: Prakash Lohia, Chairman and co-founder of Indorama Corporation.
• Outstanding achievement in Television’ award: Kunal Nayyar, actor from the hit American comedy series The Big Bang Theory.
• Outstanding Achievement in Cinema award: Asif Kapadia, he is Oscar and BAFT-winning documentary-maker
• Outstanding achievement in Sports award: Tottenham Hotspurs football star Son Heung-Min of South Korea
• Entrepreneur of the Year award: Anil Agrawal, founder and Executive Chairman of the metal and mining company, Vedanta Resources Corporation.
• Outstanding achievement in Science and Technology: Shuji Nakamura, inventor of the blue LED.
• Social Entrepreneur of the year award: Vikram Patel, the leading mental health researcher of India.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App