Natura Brasil on 13 September 2015 selected for the 2015 UNEP Champions of the Earth award in the entrepreneurial vision category.
It was selected for unparalleled commitment to trailblazing sustainable business models.
Natura is a Brazilian brand leader in cosmetics, fragrances and personal care in the direct selling model.
Achievement of Natura Brasil
• After its moderate inception in Brazil in 1969, it has spread to Argentina, Chile, Colombia, France, Mexico and Peru through over 1.7 million consultants.
• It focuses on developing competencies that will enhance the business in an entrepreneurial and socially responsible manner.
• It dedicates special attention to its suppliers and the 33 local communities it works with in order to ensure the sustainable supply chain of ingredients.
• It prioritizes recycled and recyclable materials in its packaging, analyzing their environmental impact throughout the product's lifecycle.
• Through the Amazon Program, launched in 2011, Natura seeks to curb deforestation by fostering sustainable standing forest economy in the Amazon region.
• By taking an eco-innovation life-cycle approach, the company experienced average annual growth of 26 per cent from 2005-2010, and doubled in size from 2007-2011.
• The socio-environmental benefits of selecting suppliers based on high sustainability performance were worth over 750000 US dollars in 2012 alone.
• This laudable business model was recognized when Natura received Benefit Corporation sustainability certification, which highlights high standards of environmental and social stewardship.
About UNEP Champions of the Earth Award
• It is United Nation's top environmental accolade awarded by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
• It recognizes visionary people and organisations all over the world that exemplify leadership and advocate action on sustainable development, climate change and a life of dignity for all.
• The annual award was established in 2004.
• The awards are conferred in four categories viz., policy leadership, entrepreneurial vision, inspiration and action and science and innovation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs
Who: Natura Brasil
When: 13 September 2015