Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas was observed on 2 May 2017 by the National Mission on Clean Ganga (NMCG) at 12 locations including Allahabad, Varanasi, Kanpur, Patna, Sahibganj, Bhagalpur, Raj Ghat (Hardoi), Kolkatta, Srinagar ( Uttarakhand), Bithoor, Devprayag and Vidhur Kuti.
Over thirty more locations observed the day through the support of local NGOs, Ganga Vichaar Manch and volunteers.
While Uma Bharti, the Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation attended the event at Vidhur Kuti , Srinagar and Devprayag, the events at the other locations were presided over by various Central and State level dignitaries and functionaries along with senior officials from NMCG and the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation.
The execution part of the events was taken up by Ganga Vichar Manch, the volunteer wing of NMCG in close coordination with the State Government Departments/Agencies, State programme Management Groups, District Administration and other key stakeholders at each location.
• The main aim of celebrating the day is to spread awareness and encourage the public to actively involve themselves in the river’s rejuvenation process through the Ganga Swachhta Sankalp that reiterates their commitment to Swachh Ganga through a series of events like Swachhta Sandesh rally, Shram Daan and plantation.
• The day also aims to stir a sense of pride and ownership among citizens to rouse support for Namami Gange programme.
• The NMCG along with five Ganga Basin States had observed the 16 days long ‘Ganga Swachhta Pakhwada’ from 16 March to 31 March 2017.
• The programme launched at Allahabad was concluded at Haridwar.
• It emerged as a mass movement and saw active participation from various stakeholders.
• Looking at the success of the movement and the overwhelming response it received, the NMCG decided to organise the ‘Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas’ on 2 May 2017.
When: 2 May 2017