Nripendra Misra appointed as Principal Secretary to PM Narendra Modi
Former Chairperson of TRAI, Nripendra Misra has been appointed as the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi.
Nripendra Misra, a retired IAS officer and former Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) was appointed as the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on 28 May 2014.
Earlier on 27 May 2014 Union Cabinet passed an Ordinance to amend Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Act, 1997 to enable Misra’s appointment as Principal Secretary to the PM. The Ordinance was promulgated by the President, Pranab Mukherjee under Article 123 of the Constitution of India on 28 May 2014. The Ordinance will be ratified during the Budget Session.
The Ordinance promulgated on 28 May 2014 amended the Section 5 (8)(a) of the TRAI Act, 1997. Section 5 (8) states that the chairperson or any other member ceasing to hold office as such, shall (a) be ineligible for further employment under the central government or any state government, or (b) not accept any commercial employment, for a period of two years from the date he ceases to hold such office.
About Principal Secretary to PM
A Principal Secretary to the PM is the head of the Prime Minister Office (PMO). He is a person who plays an important role as a link between the head of government and the top bureaucrats.
About Nripendra Misra
• He is an IAS officer of 1967 batch from Uttar Pradesh cadre
• Before retiring as TRAI Chairman in March 2009, he has served various ministries like telecom, commerce and fertilizers.
• He served TRAI as its Chairman from March 2006
• In 1978, he served as the Special Secretary, finance in UP
• From 1984-85, he was a Joint Secretary in Fund Bank division
• He was Director in World-Bank-IMF division in the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance from 1981-84
• He has a Masters degree in Public Administration from John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
• He has also pursued another Masters degree in political science, public administration and chemistry from Allahabad University