NS Vishwanathan appointed Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India
Vishwanathan, who served as the Principal Chief General Manager in the Department of non-banking supervision at RBI, has been working as the Executive Director at RBI since April 2014.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) on 28 June 2016 announced the appointment of NS Vishwanathan as Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Vishwanathan will succeed Harun R Khan who will retire on 3 July 2016.
Who is NS Vishwanathan?
• Vishwanathan served as the Principal Chief General Manager in the Department of non-banking supervision at Reserve Bank of India.
• He has been an Executive Director at Reserve Bank of India since April 2014.
• From 6 September 2012 to 31 May 2013, he served as the Director of Punjab National Bank.
• From 30 May 2011 to 6 September 2012, he worked as Nominee Director at Dena Bank Ltd.
• He also worked as the Chief General Manager of Vigilance at IFCI Ltd.
Deputy Governors of RBI
• The Banker’s Bank has provision for four Deputy Governors.
• Two of the Deputy Governors are appointed from outside. They are S S Mundra (commercial banker) and Urjit Patel (monetary policy department). Patel was given a three-year extension in January 2016 after his first three-year term.
• The other two Deputy Governors are traditionally appointed from those working within RBI. They are are NS Vishwanathan and R Gandhi.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App